Tomahawk work in progress

Freds Edge

Wanted to get some thoughts on this Tomahawk , I used Tia's double fag weld process in the weld and it seems to weld nicely . Three blades and a Tomahawk I guess I'm into this forging business no turning back.IMG_0687.jpgIMG_0686.jpgIMG_0682.jpg

Nice job Fred!

Just a word of advice... many years ago I produced a truck load of hawks with that style of "wrapped/welded" eye. Those hawks were "throwers", and I found that after a couple of years I started getting some returns....the forge weld on those that were thrown the most, started to separate at the front of the eye. Once a hawk is completed, there's not much of a way you can "reweld" without totally wrecking the hawk. After that experience I started building my hawk bodies out of mild steel, with a punched eye, and a high carbon "bit" welded in for the cutting edge. I replaced those welded hawks that came back with the punched eye/welded bit ones, and have never had another issue with any of them.

The one truth that I've learned over the years is that if someone can find a way to tear something up....they will! :) All we can do is keep that in mind, and try to make things as "bulletproof" as humanly possible.

Here are some photo's of the eye seem brazed , I hope this adds some extra strength at the weak point of the eye . Once the handle is on I'm thinking of bedding it in with some Brownell's Acraglas.IMG_0696.jpgIMG_0697.jpgIMG_0698.jpg

Nice work Fred, in theory the braising should help with the strength at the eye. Bedding it may or may not help. All I know is hand it to a friend and tell them to test the snot out of it.

Back