Ceramic Glass Liner for Platen

Hi Tracy,
i agree about clamping!! I used light spring clamps just to avoid any sliding and to keep it in place without it rocking on the glue bed, but the tape may act as clamp substitute.
What do you mean by failing when you used other than HT glass? Did they break?

Actually my main concern it is when i remove to put aside the platen arm...the sides of the platen are the weak points. A bump on the side of the glass may crack it very quickly

Other types of glass aren't able to withstand much in the ways of thermal shock. Friction from belt movement, as well as heat transfer from a hot blade can change the temperature of the glass enough that it will expand enough to crack or break apart. Sometimes it may happen from expanding and then cooling/contracting too quickly.

Pyroceram, or ceramic glass (also branded as Robax) is designed to handle these thermal stresses much more effeciently.
Here's a pretty neat demonstration:
[video=youtube;rDKCMNaJP1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDKCMNaJP1M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As for breaking when moving tool arms and what not, it does take a little bit of extra care here and there. I think I've only accidentally broken one one time, when I shoved a work rest into to it too hard by mistake. Also, it's fragile, but it's not like tempered glass in that it will explode if you tap the edge too hard. It's more like a ceramic tile.

Back