forge for sword making

calharkins

Hello,

I am wanting to build a blown forge for swords. I plan on using a 36 inch pipe but I am not sure about the blower configuration. Do I use one blower with propane, multiple blowers and propane sources, or one propane and blower with multiple pipes going into the forge? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a vertical forge that I can use to heat the steel to form the sword. Yes, it is primarily for heat treat. I don't want any spots that are not hot enough. Thanks for your reply.

I'm hoping to build a vertical heat-treating forge this summer using a hot water heater tank for the body, so I'm in the same boat as you. The urge to make swords can be put off no longer.... A single burner design seems to be the ticket, with enough area that the heat will even itself out. A few guys use 55 gallon drums, and I have seen one in use that used a trash can for the body, though it could only handle a blade of less than 20 inches.

just out of curiosity, how does one get the towns approval on zoning regulations for a forge like these anyway? I'm from NJ and most towns here won't even allow open fire in backyard. The mere thought of having a forge in a house is heresy around here...lol.

just out of curiosity, how does one get the towns approval on zoning regulations for a forge like these anyway? I'm from NJ and most towns here won't even allow open fire in backyard. The mere thought of having a forge in a house is heresy around here...lol.
Its just a propane heater, not a forge. Hahahahahaaa.
I don't know how one could survive that type of enviroment since Im a country kid.

Privacy fence, and a large flame resistant/retardant work area? Best of luck

In operation there should be a bit of flame coming out the top, and a dull roar from the burner. It's not like you're burning the backyard with a flamethrower...:)
But seriously, you should consider moving to a place with a less authoritarian government...

You might want to look at what Kevin, The Professor has done for his vertical heat treat
forge. Basically it's a piece of cast iron sewer pipe.

Back