Tobin Nieto on Forged in Fire

Stormcrow

Congratulations, Tobin, on your victory on Forged in Fire!

The years go on...

...but the spirit remains unchanged. :D

Tobin sure was confident during the competition. The knives they had the contestants make were right up his alley & it was fun watching him work. Bill

I've seen several people comment that Tobin was the only one that seemed to be having fun on the show. :)

I'm just impressed they left in Tobin's explanation of his idea for the cutlass being an espada ancha that had been re-handled by a local smith in the New World (which happened a lot, some of which used a rolled iron tube similar to Tobin's pipe handle) and wrapped with some hemp cord by the pirate owner.

Last edited:
I'm glad they let the name stay, she was the queen of the damned. I did have lots of fun, it was a great experience and Kyle,Bob, and Ron are a good bunch of guys.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

James I'm interested in learning more about the smithing fixes of the time. Any references or books you'd recommend?

J. Rosa - I hadn't heard of the espada ancha prior to Tobin going on the show. Once he told me the name, I did some Googling and came across a number of examples in collections or up for auction, and a decent percentage of them had the rolled iron tube handles. They were in use for decades or even centuries after leaving the Old World for the New and would get cut down shorter and re-hafted sometimes several times. The older ones tend to have straight blades, while the newer ones are often curved.

i can't imagine how crazy and hot it was in there set/forge . it drives me nuts to have some else in the shop when i am working . congrats. nice to see a robust man win

Back