Hello from AK

soundmind

KNIFE MAKER
I'm new to knife-making and I'm starting with buying blades and putting handles on them just to introduce myself to the process. A couple people unexpectedly bought two hunting knives I put on antler handles which is cool. I think people are ok with buying them like that because they know I'm starting out and they're getting the important part done professionally. They were sold reasonably priced.

Since I'm so new at this I'm not sure if I should even be posting (or selling), but it's been an interest for about three years and I'd like to get into making my own blades. I'm talking to people, reading books, and searching online. I almost have a forge ready to go. I've already made an ugly broach out of a chainsaw file but after hardening and heat treating it held an edge and still had some flex and got me hole in some antler material without snapping. It was kind of a success. If you count 2 out of 4 teeth actually cutting. haha but I'm pretty serious about getting into this.

The two handles I'm working on now are turning out to be in the way of getting into forging. They're sucking up my time. I can't get a good finish on one of the blades. I shouldn't of messed with it but I didn't have a 1/4 pin or the 25 cents to order a little bushing and I had to soften the handle in order to drill new pin holes. Gotta learn somehow.

I probably won't be talking to much on here. I don't have consistent internet access. But I'll be reading up and might have a question or two if someone won't mind to help out from time to time.

This looks like a good forum.

Welcome, you've come to the right place to learn, you'll find all kinds of help here. By the way, just jump right in, it's always, always, always, the best way to learn, hands on making mistakes, lol. Good luck and post some pics when you can.

Wayne

Back