Drop point rasp knife

ACLakey

A farrier buddy of mine gave me a pile of rasps to play with. I went to the grinder and this is what developed....these things are HARD and it was slow going.

1b3869a6a9d99ea34582e333d9d615e2.jpg

4dadf49402bec4826d36ab57ccdee1fc.jpg

73cd2a0361f95210fd727046052c2880.jpg

1f012f4066664bf4e54c2a22d9b3bb15.jpg

ac39a51a3ec9c3b0ecbc2e8db1b4fce3.jpg

c58c67d84ec6b591bc52b3d8a5050d96.jpg

I finished to 400 grit and threw some canvas micarta scales on. I'm going to make a sheath this weekend....im ready to take this one to the woods

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Looks good Andrew. I like the different sides have the coarse an fine visual appeal also.
Two questions,
1 Did you grind them as they were already hardened, meaning grind a pass or 3 then dunk in bucket or did you anneal an ht?
2 It looks like there are no pins in the handle so is only a chemical bond holding the scales on?
Is a great start back into this hobby/addiction.

1) I ground it already hardened and it was slow going...I am going to anneal the next one at 450 for two 1hr cycles and see how that is to work with.

2) Due to the hardness of the rasp I cleaned it with a wire wheel and degreased very diligently, drilled into the inside of the scales and epoxied them on...I am curious to how long the bond will last.

This was a fun project and I mostly did it to get reaquainted with grinding steel...and killing some ceramic belts. I have some 1095 on order so I'll be playing with that soon.

Copy. If you get a good carbide bit and oil with patience you can drill through hardened steel or go to a buddies an blast a hole through with a plasma cutter.

I've used masonry drill bits with much success. You did inspire me though with your blade. I annealed a file to try this out on.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Let me know when you up here next and Ill send a handful of planer blades with you. Lol

Planer blades, you talk about HARD! I have made several knives out of Farriers rasps--I also did the first one without annealing it first, and I ruined a bunch (like 7) carbide drill bits, including one Masonry bit getting it drilled for TWO pins. The next ones I annealed just like you described and it made a world of difference--including drilling the pin holes with a regular Norseman drill bit! I really like the texture and how the look when finished, I have two I'm going to take to the next craft show we go to.

Back