A couple of 7" Chef knives

These are headed to Steven Garsson. One for the DesRosiers benefit and the other for the Russ Andrews benefit. They are both 7" long, 2" at the heel, & made from .100" thick at the Ricasso with a nice distal taper. Overall lengths are ~12". Both have a 400X hand rubbed finish, are bolted up with small SS Corby's, & sealed with Acraglass. The steel is AEB-L @ 62 RC and full flat ground to ~.005" before final sharpening. The first one has dyed and stabilized Curly Hickory and the other has stabilized Curly Koa.
Comments and questions welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Curly Hickory & AEB-L Chef #1 .jpg
    Curly Hickory & AEB-L Chef #1 .jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Curly Hickory & AEB-L Chef #2 .jpg
    Curly Hickory & AEB-L Chef #2 .jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Koa & AEB-L Chef #1 .jpg
    Koa & AEB-L Chef #1 .jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Koa & AEB-L Chef #2 .jpg
    Koa & AEB-L Chef #2 .jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
Those look good Darren. I notice that the plunge/choil areas are slightly different. Probably the only reason I noticed is because I often have a hard time deciding how I'm going to do them. Do you have a preference or any insight?

Thanks guys.

Matt-I profile in batches and always set them up so I can finish them with or without bolsters. One has an angled heel because I put the bolster holes too far forward so I had to grind that angle in to be able to move the plunge forward. So basically it was just a modification to salvage a blade in order to keep from adding it to my 100 LB. box of scrap blades. LOL
I do them both ways but I think I slightly prefer the classic profile.

Back