Norwegian Knife

oldknife

Here is an intrusting little knife that came to me to have the tip repaired had a little chip at the tip. It belongs to a friend of mine, it was made by his grandfather who was a norwegian knife maker, his name is Geilo Brusletto. Think the knife is 60+ years old, is 8" overall , think it is a laminated blade, it is in excellentIMG_0642.jpgIMG_0643.jpgIMG_0644.jpgIMG_0645.jpg condition for it's age has had great care.

His G-Daddy is a Brusletto knife maker and of the famous family?
And gave him ONLY the 1 knife? I hope you've heard of the Brusletto Knife Co.,
haven't you? The Norwegian knife, much like the one you have there is basically
the National Knife of Norway, there are many variations of it, some larger, some smaller,
ALL with the same basic shape, same type handle,(the one I'm specifically referring to has
the yellow type wood handle), it is their
skinner, hunter, survival, EDC knife! And it has worked for a couple of a hundred years,
I became interested in them when I was stationed over there on a huge operation,
when I was in the Marines, it was named Alpine Warrior 85', we were pitted against
the British Royal Marines, who trained there 9 to 10 months out of the year, we were
there 2 weeks before the big show, we did however spend a month of cold training in
California, as well as another month in Fort Drum New York! I took several knives with me
when I went there in the hopes of having something that would interest any Norwegians I met,
well the hottest thing going was RAMBO! And his "survival" knife that had the hollow
(break away handle) was all the envy, I told the guy over and over,
that this was NOT the best knife I had, I had a couple of Gerbers, 1 CASE Congress, thinking the
multiple blades would interest them, but the Rambo knife was all he would look at! supe nice guy.
the Norwegian people are wonderful people, the ONLY reason I don't care to go back is the food,
I rated every country I went to by their food and Norwegian food was the BLANDEST food i have ever seen,
i wasn't aware that food could be that uninteresting, now I'm not saying that it was bad, I did have
a reindeer Steak with Asparagus gravy! Yum....err, decent, due to the enormous mugs of highly potent
BEER, that I got with it. I ended up trading the Rambo knife for one very similar to the one below, I threw in a gerber
so I wouldn't feel bad, as I knew it was a bad trade on his part! So I felt good about it, when I got home i gave it to my
Dad, after he passed my mom gave it back and said Dad wanted to pass it on to my son Ty. Awesome
Rex
Leuku7.jpg

Last edited:
Rex, great reply, yes he was of the famous family, when he came to the US he changed his name to Brustol, he walked from New York to South Dakota and bought a ranch. That is a great knife you passed to your son. Thanks Deane

No problem Deane, it was nice to be able to think that due to that knife, I can recall some memories!

And from the looks of it, with him coming to thw US, via New York and walking all the way to South Dakota!
He sounds like an awesome guy!
Glad you enjoyed my story of being in Norway, while in the Marines! Not the most intelligent thing to take an 18 year old boy straight out of Alabama, then put him in a "Cold Weather Unit"! Not too smart, but I survived the best I could, being so far out of my element. It was more my likeing in the jungles of Okinawa, Japan! That I liked a lot better!
Rex

Rex, great reply, yes he was of the famous family, when he came to the US he changed his name to Brustol, he walked from New York to South Dakota and bought a ranch. That is a great knife you passed to your son. Thanks Deane

Back