Made one for me

Justin Presson

I haven't kept a knife in a while so I decided to make me one. Just a little guy to edc while out hiking or throw in the consule of the truck.

This will probably be the last knife I make for a while. We are putting the house on the market next week and I have to tear down the work benches in the garage.

Aeb-l etched and tumbled
Canvas micarta handle
Bolted and epoxyed together

170b1ac19147bfc8befbeb34e0305f9e.jpg

958c07a047c2ebc1c371f890471abac2.jpg

bf752fb88096a96c4528e359b5228d77.jpg

1070bb4ccc4535a6ef62214f0d42f7a4.jpg

a28caada1ceaf26b187db4d492911902.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome.
Justin

Nice knife Justin. I love the look. I don't envy the packing you have ahead of you. We did that two years ago, and it was a HUGE job. Good luck selling and moving.

That's my favorite from you so far Justin. I like the size, the design, materials, & the F&F. Heck I like everything about it. You took to this stuff like a duck to water. I always enjoy seeing your work.

Thanks everyone I sure do appreciate the kind words!!

Jim you are right big undertaking to get a house cleaned out and ready to sell, but it will be worth it in the end.

Darrin, thanks buddy appreciate it. I like to think I have some good teachers

That looks awsome! I love it! I really like the bolts in the handle, are they take down scales or are the scales glued on?

That looks awsome! I love it! I really like the bolts in the handle, are they take down scales or are the scales glued on?
Thanks Daniel, they are epoxyed. I wanted to etch and tumble the spine the same as the blade so I had to bolt the scales together to shape them then for moisture barrier I glued it too.

Great little knife Justin!

Here's to a quick and painless (to the extent possible with moving ;) ) move so that you can get your shop set back up and get to making knives quickly!

Beautiful look. Question for you. I use simple carbon steels, 1084 right now. I know it will etch, but what is your etching and tumbling regimen and setup? Time, media, tumbler, etc.

Good luck with the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great little knife Justin!

Here's to a quick and painless (to the extent possible with moving ;) ) move so that you can get your shop set back up and get to making knives quickly!
Me to John, moving I'm finding out is not a fun task we have been in our house for 10 years, a lot of stuff to clean up and de clutter but the house looks great let's hope it sells fast!

Beautiful look. Question for you. I use simple carbon steels, 1084 right now. I know it will etch, but what is your etching and tumbling regimen and setup? Time, media, tumbler, etc.

Good luck with the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Mike,
I wash thoroughly wish soap and water then dry, wipe down with denatured alcohol, then into a 4:1 mix of ferric chloride PCB etchant from radio shack for anywhere to 30-50 minutes. Take out and wash scrubbing off the film that is left from etching with latex gloves and my fingers. Neutralize is TSP( trisodium phosphate) squirt down with windex to make sure its neutralized good. Soak it in WD-40 and spray my media with WD-40 tumble by hand until I get the desired look. I use this ceramic media from harbor freight, I have the container about half full with the media and just tumble by hand usually 5-10 minutes.
92c5b0f8adeece67835f33ce79da8f69.jpg

You want to make sure you have all the decarb layer removed or it will not etch evenly, or you did not get all the oil cleaned off good enough, pull the blade out after a few minutes to check and see if it is etching evenly if you see any weird spots you probably don't have the decarb removed.
Hope that helps

Justin

That looks like a great little knife. Sturdy, rugged and a great design for its intended use. Very nice work. Good luck with the sale of your home and the move. Packing is the pits!

Back