My son's first knife

Matt de Clercq

I have been helping my 5 year old build his first knife for a few months and he recently finished. I was able to get him to do a lot of the work by setting up jigs and using a sharpy to color material that he needed to grind or sand off. I could go on and on about what a great experience it was for the both of us but I think I'll just share some photos. I did a WIP on my Facebook page with more photos and details if you are interested. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
He took some pics of his finished knife.image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 28
Those pictures call to mind that credit card commercial. . . Time spent with 5 year old son, PRICELESS!!! Family is the most important asset that we have and time with them is time well spent.

The smile on your son's face is priceless! Great pictures, and brought a smile to my face they did. I really like the picture of him holding up the finished knife, with a little owie on his forehead. There has to be a story for that one. Thanks for sharing.

Great to see a father take the time an interest in spending time with his kids and instilling an interest in working with their hands.

great knife and an even better Dad!

Erik

What a heart warming story. I'm a firm believer in including young children in things like this.
Thats a fine knife you made there young man!
Im looking forward to seeing one made by the little one in the stroller in a few years.

He is super proud of it. He took over a hundred pictures of it with my phone on his own. He has seen me use my light box to take pictures but I usually don't get too creative but he knew how and where to set the knife up from the knife books that are stored in his room.

Another neat thing was his reaction to the handle material when I hit it with a quick buff. I think we've all been there and now he has too.

we may even sharpen it in a few years

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 14
You are going to have to change all the signage to read "Matt de Clercq & Sons".

And he will want to get paid, too. Lets talk salary and benefits package.

Pretty cool deal there

DeMo

That is great! Great work by your son and a great investment by dad. I have worked with an 18 yr old that honestly did not know what vice grips were. This will pay off in the future and now. Ed

Back