finishing purple heart

Sean Cochran

Ive got some purple heart that Ive had for awhile. Ive decided to put it on a knife that Im giving as a gift this Christmas. Anyway, what is the best way to finish it to retain the color. I was thinking about a CA finish but I dont know.
What do you think?

Sean

I have just bought some as well but mine is stabilize so I dont have to worry. I would oil and buff. True oil gun stock finish is great stuff.

I think Purpleheart is great and I use it on quite a few of my kitchen knives. I just use multiple coats of Minwax with a light sand in between.

I love the stuff. Very pretty.

I treat it just like Ebony, blood wood or any of the other oily, super dense exotics. Like Gap, I treat it with oil, only I use natural Danish oil. Although, the stuff is so oily I don't think it really does accept any of it. But better safe than sorry.

I usually do a thin coat of super glue to seal any big pores, then steel wool that off and buff with carnauba wax and soft buffing wheel. I really like the way it comes out. Looks and feels really natural.

If the client wants it really shinny...I do CA as you suggest and carefully buff it with white compound.

I have used minwax poly too. But as Peter says, you will need to do several coats to insure it doesn't come off every time it gets dinged.

I usually do a thin coat of super glue to seal any big pores, then steel wool that off and buff with carnauba wax and soft buffing wheel. I really like the way it comes out. Looks and feels really natural.

Worked great! Thanks

Sean

Your welcome Sean. Sorry to take so long to respond. Just flat missed your post.

JD,

Try Minwax Spar Finish. I believe it has UV protection that will help delay the wood turning brown from the sun. However, it is not just the sun that turns Purple Heart or any of the other exotic woods. It is oxidation. The sun just accelerates the process. Even with UV protection the O2 in our air will oxidize the wood (much like in an apple after you've taken a bite) and darken it.
Follow the directions closely and sand very lightly between coats.
Also, keep in mind that the oil based finish will yellow slightly while drying. Often that is a good thing, sometimes not. If you don't want the yellowing, try a water based finish. No yellowing and dry times are greatly reduced.
Make sure you are using a poly product and not a varnish like Deft. Varnish will not hold up to the demands of a knife handle.
I always tell my customers that the wood will eventually turn colors. Don't want anyone to be unhappy needlessly. Hope I've helped!!! Happy New Year!!!2thumbs

Back