How to make an hamon. My way

ziozeb

You have to bevel a blade leaving a thickness at around 1,5 mm . the blade was finshed now with 120 coarse paper .
Now you have to draw the shape of the blade on a see-through sheet .
15.jpg

on which you have to mark the hamon line
22.jpg

Cut from the sheet the line of the hamon and use it for making both the side of the blade .
The mentioned step is quite important in order to have symmetrical hamon line
32.jpg]

32.jpg

No we start :
42.jpg

the right compactness
52.jpg

61.jpg

72.jpg

82.jpg

Let it dry for at least 24 hours
Now it's time to temper the blade ( I am using a gas forge ) .
Heat the blade to the right temperature , then quench it in water for about 3-4 seconds , then immediately finish to quench it in oil
91.jpg

10.jpg

111.jpg

121.jpg

131.jpg

151.jpg

Pictures are scrap , here below the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPIEinT9_o&list=UU0PWcMT4Kf_-o9W_5g0V34Q&index=1
Brush away satanite
161.jpg

then in the oven for tempering
171.jpg

Let the blade getting cold and then start removing the oxide layer with 60 grit belt and then continue polishing
grit 60
18.jpg

120, then 240
19.jpg

up to 600
20.jpg

800 ,1000

soldering the guard
221.jpg

23.jpg

After perfectly degreasing the blade , sink it for 4-5 mins in a moisture made up of 1 part of ferric chloride and 5 part of water
24.jpg

Remove the oxyde left by the chloride washing the blade with soap and water
251.jpg

Repeat this step three times ( chloride-washing) in order to let the chloride going deeper in the steel
26.jpg

Now sink the blade in water mixed with baking soda to quit the effects of the chloride
27.jpg

cover the blade with a lot of oil , pack it in paper and let it rest night time
28.jpg

29.jpg

then I start to roughly polishing the blade with a cotton wheel and some green polishing paste .
Then by hand wit kleenex and etilic alcohol Icontinue cleaning the blade , paying attention to use a clean piece of paer as soon as it becomes dirty
210.jpg

33.jpg

..... continue polishing with bodyshop paste and a wool cloth
43.jpg

53.jpg

have a look at the different porosity of betwwen the harder part and the softer part of the blade
63.jpg

73.jpg

The blade before the bodyshop polishing paste
83.jpg

After the polishing paste
92.jpg

Blade is now finished
101.jpg

112.jpg

Back