KnifeDogs 2016 Hammer and Knife Show - Last weekend in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
So, this will be a bit random but it's a place to start a conversation...

The 6th annual KnifeDogs Hammer In/Grind In will be held the last weekend in August... Friday 8/26 thru Sunday 8/28

If you have been to one of ours in the in the past, thanks for coming and you know how tight space is here. That changes significantly in about 6 weeks. Our new 12,000/sq' warehouse is nearing completion (our current warehouse is 3,750/sq') and we will be moving into the new space in early or mid March.

Some changes I am anticipating.

First,
We are adding a knife show. We will have room for 50 tables, probably more but 50 is a number that is easy to commit to right now. There will be no charge for anyone that wants to set up. Bring your own table and chair. We will give you a space. If you can't bring a table, we will arrange to have some tables to rent from a local rental place. I don't have any idea what that will cost you. The first table is free (limited to a typical card table or a 6'x3' folding white table). If you need more than that, call me. I'll spend some funds on advertising locally but honestly we will do this first one on a budget and depend on the internet and word of mouth. If you set up a table to sell supplies for this weekend, I am completely fine with that. This event was never about selling stuff for us and if you knife stuff you want to sell, bring and table and set it up. Do not bring anything other than knife related items. It's not going to be a flea market.
I have to know in advance for planning purposes so registration is required and that will be organized later.

Second,
Saturday night we have normally shut down at 6pm and sent everyone to forge for dinner on their own. This year we will have an optional evening dinner and beer kegger. There will be a modest charge for this dinner. I am looking into some live music from 6:30 to 9.

If you play an instrument, bring it and plan on playing it. It would be fantastic to have some pickup music - all kinds. If we can get enough knife maker musicians to commit to playing a song or three, you won't get stuck hearing some local band I choose that works for nearly nothing and plays badly. I need guys to play for free beer. It's win/win.

Third,
We will have several additional grinders, drill presses and work benches for session tracks.

Fourth,
I will be contacting several of our suppliers for demo equipment and abrasives.

Fifth,
If you sell grinders, tools or other knife related equipment - even if it competes with USAknifemaker.com, again I am fine with that. I have to know in advance for planning purposes so registration is required and that will be organized later.

Sixth,
Friday last year we "opened" at noon. We will do that again. It worked well. We had an informal social Friday night and we will do that again. The shop wasn't really open Friday night but will be this year if you want to get started early.

Seventh,
We have avoided promoting our annual event locally due to not having enough room. With the new location and space, we will most likely have quite a few locals stop by.

Eight,
In the past, it's been very unstructured with no schedules or agenda. You can still do that but we will also put together a specific schedule for demo times in different aspects of knife making.

Nine,
I am seeking volunteer instructors for anything knife related. This can be as much or as little as you want. I'm pretty flexible. Contact me and I'll get you on the "official schedule". I will have a few paid instructors that will work their tails off all weekend but we need some volunteer instructors to hold a class/session/demo/whatever for an hour or two. If you have a skill, consider sharing it. Someone probably took some time to show you a few things, consider passing some of you knowledge on.

Ten,
In the past we have limited attendees to 25 to 30. We are opening it up this year to 100 and there should be plenty of room. If you want to get your hands dirty, you will be able to.

Finally,
My goal is to have an annual world class HammerIn/GrindIn/Knife Show and this event will be a learning experience. We will be trying some things we've never done before but you can be part of it. What doesn't work this year will change next year. I am committed to growing this into an event that gets people excited. I'd appreciate any comments or feedback....More later as this unfolds.
t

Last edited:
OK,
This one will be tough but we could use some word of mouth help getting people to attend. Please don't spam the other knife forums, those guys hate that and we don't need that baggage BUT if you are active anywhere else, let your buddies know.

The new location is about two miles/three minutes from our current location. We've had a few walk from their motels in the past, it probably won't be walking distance since we will now be in an industrial area. We will arrange for street parking with the city this year so parking won't be an issue.

General Info:
Mankato is located an hour south of Minneapolis St. Paul. We are 1 hour, 20 minutes from the Minneapolis Airport.

If you want to bring family, The Mall of America is 1 hour, 15 minutes drive and 5 minutes from the airport. You can take a light rail from the airport to the Mall and there are several motels around the mall with large indoor water parks.

We will set up some group rates at a couple local motels and post that information when we get it.

There *may* be an option for tent camping. I'll check on that. There will not be water/electric for camping.

There will be a knife throwing competition. Start practicing.

I'm in the area, would it work to come for just a few days? I think this would be allot of fun to addend.

its not a problem to drop in for part or all of it.

How do we sign up?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Send an email to Beth at info.usaknifemaker.com She will be handling it.

i don't have a cost calculated yet but I'll commit to being under $65 and I am hoping for less than that. We don't make money hosting these. It's about sponsorship back to the community that has been good to us. We are developing this kind of real time so it's a moving target right now but I will have it nailed down in a couple weeks.

If you want to register now send email to Beth at info@usaknifemaker.com She will track it and send everybody an email with all the details when we get them nailed down.

Cost for the event will be $45 to participate.
this will include meals for Friday night, Saturday noon and evening and we can probably throw something on the grill noon Sunday. We will have at least four paid instructors for: basic forging, Damascus, slip joint folder and one other I need to tie down.
a live band Saturday night from 7 to 9 along with a keg of beer.
a space to set up a table is included. We will be using all of ours so bring your own table and chair(s) if you want to set up to sell. We will find some rental tables if you can't bring one.

I talked Aldo, the New Jersey steel Baron and he will try to come and bring a truckload of steel to sell and conduct a short class on metallurgy of forging.

we expect Skull forge there to show off his new line of forges along with Woodlab selling wood and other handle material.

Mike Kelly, owner of Evenheat will be there and will bring an oven or two to show. If you need an oven, he can bring it there for no delivery charge.

Keith Johnson confirmed he be will teaching slip joints. I have a few calls to make this week to nail down the other instructors.

Hours of the event

Friday afternnoon starting at noon. Feel free to come earlier Friday but you will be put to work helping set up more than likely. We could probably use a hand or two. Open shop that afternoon and we will have a forge or two set up. When the instructors arrive that day, they will start showing when they can get ready.

Saturday we open at 8 and start at 8:30am and the shop will be open until the band starts. We will close up Saturday evening when we are done I guess.
Sunday we start at 8:30 again and will be there till 3pm.

Knife show how tables can be set up anytime you want all weekend.

we will advertise the knife show hours as 9am Saturday to 9pm. You can set up for the knife show any hours you decide.

Is anyone interested in a smoker/bbq competition for Saturday. I'll sponsor $100/First place $50 and $25 for 2nd and 3rd place. We will all eat the entries and vote the winner.

I'll be running my smoker that day for dinner that evening also.

an update...

Peter Martin (of Forged in Fire fame) will be teaching pattern damascus. He will show Ladder, Raindrop and probably a couple others.

RB Johnson has agreed to teach a liner lock class. If you haven't heard of RB, google him up. RB's wife, Regina will set up a table showing some of her knives. She deals in high end collectibles and you will see some customs and collectibles you just don't get a chance to see that often.

Les Voorhies and RB will be hosting a discussion on liner lock/flipper design and geometry. RB doesn't know this yet but he will be on board.

Looking forward to this, glad to be participating as well. I suggest anybody attending this to post it on their website to help bring awareness. This will be the best Knifemaking event in the Midwest if everybody puts forth a little effort to help advertise it.

Peter

Woodlab Products along with Skull Forge (they are brothers) will be there with three tables of handle material and forges.

This is looking pretty awesome! Great Job in setting this up. I'd really like to come, I hope it fit's in the schedule!

I just got off the phone with Jim Poling and he will The Hot Shop Boss for the basic knifesmithing shop. Jim has helped us for several years and does a great job at this. We're glad to have him back..

I just talked to Aldo again, he will be attending and bringing out a truck load of steel for direct sales...

Big Blue Air Hammers has committed to bringing a tent, some of their hammers and someone to demo/teach their Air Hammer machines. Josh (Big Blue) says he will try and round up Jason Knight to give air hammer demo's.

Is Larry going to be invited again? Please let me know so I can decide if I want to come or not. :) I've already contacted Beth! I can't wait, this is going to be awesome. I will share it on my Facebook and other forums. Let me know if there is any other way I can assist.

Thanks
Jess

Is Larry going to be invited again? Please let me know so I can decide if I want to come or not. :) I've already contacted Beth! I can't wait, this is going to be awesome. I will share it on my Facebook and other forums. Let me know if there is any other way I can assist.

Thanks
Jess

It wouldn't be the same with out Larry. We will find something to keep him busy. Maybe he can square off against a Big Blue power hammer pounding some metal...

It wouldn't be the same with out Larry. We will find something to keep him busy. Maybe he can square off against a Big Blue power hammer pounding some metal...

i'd drag his sorry wimperin butt there just to see that, I would even go so far as to bribe his wife, but I think she does that to see him go! At least that's the story on the street anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back