1095 Petty In Buckeye Burl From J.Doyle

Daniel Rohde

One I just finished up, and I thought I'd share
23901295614_875304a105_b.jpg

23901481844_1d79e0c3f1_b.jpg

24421319132_c6053057fa_b.jpg

What do you think?

WOW!

That is beyond beautiful, Daniel. A great combination of rustic and beautifully finished, all in one. That buckeye burl against the red liners is awesome. Superb finish on that wood! But more than the looks of this knife- the amount of thought that went into the design is really something. That knife is just begging to be used. I like how you contoured the handle, and even with a pinch grip for boning or delicate work that knife will be a joy to use. As that 1095 patinas over time, it's only going to become even prettier.

That is one pretty knife. The edge geometry really jumps out at me in the last picture, looks super sharp. great job

Beautiful knife Daniel. I've got to say, buckeye burl is becoming one of my favorite woods. The finish is exceptional, as noted on the last picture; the polish of the tang meeting the wood. I need to work on that. Do you mask off the wood, assemble after both tang and wood are finished? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys! I love how the colors came together on this.

The finish is exceptional, as noted on the last picture; the polish of the tang meeting the wood. I need to work on that. Do you mask off the wood, assemble after both tang and wood are finished? Any tips would be appreciated.
I don't do any masking off ot the handle, I just hand sand the handle up to 1000 grit(carefully) and then buff it, this wood is stabilized but I also add son Tru-oil to it first.

Thanks Guys! I love how the colors came together on this.

I don't do any masking off ot the handle, I just hand sand the handle up to 1000 grit(carefully) and then buff it, this wood is stabilized but I also add son Tru-oil to it first.

Daniel
Very nice knife. Love the buckeye. What are you buffing with???
DeMo

It already looks rustic and aged and its a new knife. The patina when it shows up is going to really be a beautiful pattern. The buck eye is some really cool stuff need to get mine stabilized so I can use it.

Back