Question on my grinder build (Almost done)

Love this, am dragging my feet on building mine due to getting our new home.
This is inspiring me to just draw what I want and make it happen.
Great thread and nice work man. I may follow your thinking and set mine up higher than most. Im only 6' but hate slouchin/stooping to see work.

Last edited:
Make it happen. I have it on an adjustable table I can sit or stand I can modify it easy when I get the motor and VFD . this motor is not to to bad 1HP 1725. The glass platen was a big plus. I spent the most time on belt tension, not just tension EVEN tension on the belt from side to side. I dont know how much pressure is on my belt but its guitar tight and dont move while grinding period. I think moving the spring or shock much more forward than the wheel is the key.

Im working on a small wheel attachment Im also aware the bearings may not hold at 1725.

I did replace the tool rest, went 16x4x1/4 mucho room on there. I may weld some rebar on the bolts for tightening all around.

I learned allot for my next build, I may go aluminum, but for now Im good to grind. I couldn't make it any simpler.

Just a thought, but you might get some additional life and/or speed with a set of ABEC 7 rated bearings, vs ABEC 3 or 5. ABEC 9 would be better yet, but probably overkill for the application, even at higher speeds.

That, or just buy some cheapies and swap them as they burn out. ;)

I know I'm bringing up an old thread, but I gotta say, nice work. I've been thinking about up-grading my grinder for a long time, and I really like your design. I may copy it sometime in the future, if that's alright with you, of course!

Trenton

Just a thought, but you might get some additional life and/or speed with a set of ABEC 7 rated bearings, vs ABEC 3 or 5. ABEC 9 would be better yet, but probably overkill for the application, even at higher speeds.

That, or just buy some cheapies and swap them as they burn out. ;)
But there is no kill like overkill.

Trenton Thanks copy away, its what I did, took ideas from all around. Im no welder or fabricator but mine turned out fine. My next one will be all aluminum.

Back