Amazing Grace, the song

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
For the last 4 years the song, Amazing Grace, has been going through my head. From time to time I would make a special effort to just sing it. Ol Ray singing the lead and my cows singing back up. It really upsets me when the cows try to take the lead since they don't know the words let alone what grace is since grace is what this song is all about.

This morning when I finally made it out to my shop this song pops in my head again. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see. Then it dawned on me, this whole song is all about Jesus Christ.

Now I See!

Raymond

Here are all the lyrics.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Here is Alan Jackson's rendition.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BFB7BB8F68768FDD5EAABFB7BB8F68768F&FORM=VIRE1

It is a great song with an even more powerful message.

DeMo

A lot of people have been performing the song to a different tune, I really like it. There are a bunch of different versions on YouTube, but here's one, check it out.

[video=youtube_share;RO2px91IheQ]https://youtu.be/RO2px91IheQ[/video]

For the last 4 years the song, Amazing Grace, has been going through my head. From time to time I would make a special effort to just sing it. Ol Ray singing the lead and my cows singing back up. It really upsets me when the cows try to take the lead since they don't know the words let alone what grace is since grace is what this song is all about.

This morning when I finally made it out to my shop this song pops in my head again. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see. Then it dawned on me, this whole song is all about Jesus Christ.

Now I See!

Just read it through replacing grace with Jesus, It does make you look at things a little different don't it. Thanks Raymond

Anthony I love that tune and that song. they go great together. Thanks Ed

Just read it through replacing grace with Jesus, It does make you look at things a little different don't it. Thanks Raymond

Anthony I love that tune and that song. they go great together. Thanks Ed

Ed, Thanks, that was what I was wanting to read. The more I think about it Jesus Christ is God's Grace in human form for its by his grace that we are saved. All in All.

As far as the recording goes with "House of the Risen Sun" melody to me it does not work. House of the Rising Sun is about totally being lost. Amazing Grace is about truth light, and being found, not darkness. In Amazing Grace the Words are very powerful in themselves. It does not need a melody and does not need to be sung. The Words are alive with meaning just in the spoken voice and even read to yourself. It really does help if you use the eye's of your heart.

Ed, Thanks, that was what I was wanting to read. The more I think about it Jesus Christ is God's Grace in human form for its by his grace that we are saved. All in All.

As far as the recording goes with "House of the Risen Sun" melody to me it does not work. House of the Rising Sun is about totally being lost. Amazing Grace is about truth light, and being found, not darkness. In Amazing Grace the Words are very powerful in themselves. It does not need a melody and does not need to be sung. The Words are alive with meaning just in the spoken voice and even read to yourself. It really does help if you use the eye's of your heart.

To me Amazing Grace is about being totally lost and being found and drawn into the light. If you sang a verse of The House of the rising sun and then as the next verse sang amazing grace it would be the story of all of our lives. I once was lost but now I am found, was blind but now I see. Ed

Raymond

Here are all the lyrics.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Here is Alan Jackson's rendition.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...BFB7BB8F68768FDD5EAABFB7BB8F68768F&FORM=VIRE1

It is a great song with an even more powerful message.

DeMo
I got lost for awhile and didn't think CKG was available any longer.

Thanks for putting the words to this song. The Words by themselves need no music to be beautiful! What a powerful testimony......

One of my favorites and it always brings me memories of my granddad. Funny thing is I actually like the version of by a band called the economic murphys, a punk rock band from boston. It's the message of the words not the melody.

That song was written in 1779 and different groups are still singing it and re-arranging it. That is also amazing (see what I did there). I have played in a few different groups over the years and we have always included that song in our list. The Chris Tomlin version (My chains are gone) is very popular and I think it was a great expansion on the intent of the original lyric.

when I was a new Christian(35 yrs ago) the singles group I was attending would do the lyrics to the Eagles tune "Peaceful easy feeling" then for the chorus after every verse we'd just sing the eagles chorus with one word change which made sense with the Amazing grace lyrics...

I've got a peaceful easy feeling,
I know you won't let me down, (the "you" refers to Jesus)
'Cause I'm already standin'
On solid ground (Standing on solid ground refers to the Salvation freely given by our Savior...)

Some of the heresy sniffers were concerned about using a secular tune to sing Amazing Grace to...until it was pointed out to them that Marty Luther used Pub tunes to put his amazing (Chris...just did it too...!) lyrics to as most folk already knew the tunes.

I love the newer versions too...

In one group I still play with at times, we did a song to the tune of Sweet Home Alabama with Christian Lyrics, its a cool song but we were asked not to do it anymore because even though we sang different lyrics people only heard the original when we played it. I guess that was a fair point to make.

Back