Harbor Freight Mini-Mill CNC Conversion

Another good video! My condolences for your loss. Also, I hope your son's surgery goes well, and that recovery is quick and easy!

I've enjoyed watching these. I hope your son comes though surgery ok.

And Im sorry for your loss as well. Hang in there.

chris

Thanks guys. My boy was born premature and as a result was handed cerebral palsy. He gets around pretty good, but walks on the insoles of his feet with his toes turned out too far. They're going to split a bone in each foot and insert a piece of cadaver bone which should angle his toes back in. He's 12 and he's already been through a bunch of other surgeries, I think he's used to it. Bothers us more than it does him. My shop time will be nil for a while I'm afraid.

Just wanted to mention, if you're interested in cnc machining do not underestimate learning 3d modeling software. I'm pretty good with 2d cad and learning 3d has been harder than I predicted. I'm using Fusion 360 and I do recommend it for several reasons. Drawing simple brackets and fixtures seem easy enough, but when I started trying to design a folder with it I hit a wall. Took me a long time to get to this, and it's still not done. I think converting a machine is a lot easier than learning the software!
[video=youtube_share;9lvMs7VvP5Q]https://youtu.be/9lvMs7VvP5Q[/video]

I hope everything goes well with your son's surgery. I'll keep him in my prayers. Thanks for taking the time to put together these videos. I'm enjoying the journey.

Thanks guys, surgery went well. He has pins holding it all together and casts up to his knees for the next 6 weeks. Four days waiting around in a hospital is about to kill me! We might get to go home later today.

Hello Anthony, Sorry for your loss, and glad to hear your son's surgery went good.

Now, on that CNC stuff - you are correct, learning the 3D stuff is harder for me than learning the gcode stuff. I've worked for years with 2D cad (AutoCAD), but making the switch to 3D just has been hard - maybe I'm not spending enough time with it. I've played around with Fusion, and a couple other programs.

On your videos - you sure have done a LOTS of work sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. Working all the video into the actual building of CNC is a lot of work, not even considering the hours of editing you've done. GREAT JOB!!! I've often though about CNC'ing my X3 (grizzly), but for now I'm getting by with my desktop CNC machine.

Ken H>

Thanks Ken. I need to get some more video of this project up, I get daily harassments on my YouTube channel from people that are ready for more. Just not enough time in the day.

Great video, Anthony. I've been wondering where you were at on this build. I'm really enjoying following along. Keep them coming.

Back