15n20

aelgin

I'm looking at buying some 15N20 to make some kitchen knives, and I was wondering what everybody thought about 15N20 on its own for a knife? I know its used in Damascus all the time, but I don't see it on its own very often. I have very basic heat treat methods, using a 2 brick forge and a bucket of canola oil currently, so I typically use 1084, but I can't get 1084 thin enough for what I want to do. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

I'm looking at buying some 15N20 to make some kitchen knives, and I was wondering what everybody thought about 15N20 on its own for a knife? I know its used in Damascus all the time, but I don't see it on its own very often. I have very basic heat treat methods, using a 2 brick forge and a bucket of canola oil currently, so I typically use 1084, but I can't get 1084 thin enough for what I want to do. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
15n20 makes a fine kitchen blade. I use it often for thin Peeling and paring knives. Heat treat it like 1084 like you've been doing. Heat treat it full thickness and clamp between plates after quenching to reduce warping issues.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

15N20 is basically 1075, with 1.5% nickel. The reason you don't often see it on its own is likely because finding it thicker then .100" can be a challenge. The biggest issue using it for kitchen cutlery, or something like a fillet knife is rusting. When it comes to building blades with it, warping during heat treat can driver you nuts, but it makes a fine blade.

A couple of years ago I built a 10" fillet knife for a fishing trip to Vancouver Island using .100" 15N20..... the blade performed great (we averaged 2-3 hours a day, over a 2 week period, cleaning fish), but you could almost watch it rust in that salt water environment. :) Its been in use in our kitchen since coming back from that trip..... still works great, but requires cleaning/waxing with every use.

I have some 15N20 on order. Going to start with a couple of steak and paring knives to get me started. Thanks for the feedback guys.

-Aaron

Back