Ganzo folding knives

7cats

I insist that any folding knife I have is capable of being opened and closed with hand. And either hand. One never knows when a hand will be otherwise occupied or out of service. Thus, my favorite locks tend to be the Axis lock found on some Benchmade models and the similar lock from Spyderco. Great knives, but not inexpensive.

Thus, I was excited to find that Ganzo, out of China, makes several models with an Axis-like lock, at very reasonable prices. But are they any good? I got in a couple, and did a review of them here:

http://survivallife.com/2015/12/07/ganzo-g720-and-g717-folding-knives/

I was quite impressed with them (the models using 440C at least), and did some more research and tried some other models, summarized here:

https://equippedcat.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/ganzo-folding-knives/

I like Ganzo folding knives. Your review is great. Just bought G735 and this model is really good. It feels good in hand and has a high quality at affordable price. Highly recommended!

The consensus seems to be a quality product for the price. I just have a hard time with their blatant counterfeiting of other well known designs, along with using a lock that, as far as I know, they haven't been given license to.

The consensus seems to be a quality product for the price. I just have a hard time with their blatant counterfeiting of other well known designs, along with using a lock that, as far as I know, they haven't been given license to.

Their knives often do look similar to existing knives; in one of my reviews I included a link to a blog which has a picture of every Ganzo knife and its nearest equivalent.

I don't know whether or not they have a license for the Axis lock. That bothers me a bit as well, so just in case they don't, my policy is that I buy the real knife, but use the Ganzo equivalent in everyday situations because I have an annoying tendency to mess up or lose knives (and other things). Win for the original knife company, Ganzo and me.

My favorite for everyday use in the city is the Spyderco style G7291; if there were a chance of going off road I would change to the Griptilian style G7392P since the G7291 point is a bit narrow for some wilderness tasks. Of course, if I KNOW I'm going off road, I'd choose the Doug Ritter Mk 1 (which has been discontinued, darn it) and try real hard not to lose it. Or if possible, a good sheath knife would be even better.

Back