Heat treat oven 115 or 240 v

230V is more efficient. Personally, I've own both, and I found the 115V versions just unacceptable for my needs. Although I never actually timed either, the 115V oven(s) seemed painfully slow to heat up compared to the 230V.

Is there a difference? Is 230v more efficient or faster than 115v?

more efficient? not really, a watt of electrical power is a watt. the difference will be in the amount of current(amps) you will draw. A 1200 watt furnace will draw 10 amps if designed for 120 volts, 5 amps is designed for 240 volts.
faster? probably not, again your furnace output is in watts.
if you look at furnace/pottery kilns, smaller kilns are 120, bigger ones are 240. furnace makers follow a formula that allows a certain amount of heating coil per square inch of wall, floor, and ceiling space.
the most efficient furnace is probably a tube furnace, where your heated area is completely surrounded by heating coils and there is very little air space.
last item to consider is how your shop is wired. do you have 240 available or would you have to run cable

Last edited:
Scott is correct, a watt is a watt and the oven doesn't know the difference between 120 and 240 vac. The difference comes in with the wattage of the two ovens. "Usually", the 240 vac version will have a higher wattage thus will heat faster. "IF" you take two ovens of same size, same wattage, everything exactly the same except for voltage, there will be NO difference in speed, heating, or anything between the two ovens. Now, the BIG thing is getting everything equal - the 120 vac oven will pull twice as many amps and require a larger feed wire and breaker.

Take two Evenheat ovens - 240 vac (9"W x 5.5"H x 18"D 240v, 3120 watts) and 120 vac (6.5"W x 4.25"H x 18"D 120v, 1560 watts) - even with the 120 vac version being smaller inside than the 240 vac it will take a good bit longer to heat up because the wattage is almost half.

Ken H>

The 240V version is more efficient. It's very simple. What is efficiency? If the 240V version uses half the amperage it's a no brainer. If the amount of voltage didn't matter we wouldn't use high voltage to feed out electrical grid. Higher voltage is more efficient period.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The 240V version is more efficient. It's very simple. What is efficiency? If the 240V version uses half the amperage it's a no brainer. If the amount of voltage didn't matter we wouldn't use high voltage to feed out electrical grid. Higher voltage is more efficient period.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

aahh missa taylormade, a watt is a watt. you are right, 240V requires half the amperage as 120V to generate the same amount of watts. all that does is allow you to use smaller gauge wire. a 1200 watt furnace is going to heat up at the same rate whether you use 120V coil or a 240V coil. a watt of electrical power directly converts to BTU per minute. furnace efficiency is upgraded by having better insulation, tighter fitting door, heating coil mounted on 5 of the 6 sides, and a well programmed controller.
My Carbolite CTF 12/65/550 is fast and efficient not because it uses 240V but because it uses 2000 watts to heat 175 cu. in.(0.1 cu.ft.) [h=5][/h][h=5][/h]

I have a 120v and love it but do not own a 240 to directly compare the two side by side. however I have used a 240 and it didn't seem any faster to me.

Thank you Scott - it's all about wattage, not volts, not amps, but wattage which is a function of volts 'n amps.

How fast the oven heats has nothing to do with voltage, but how many watts/cubic ft - AND how well insulated the oven is.

Ken H>

Thank you Scott - it's all about wattage, not volts, not amps, but wattage which is a function of volts 'n amps.

How fast the oven heats has nothing to do with voltage, but how many watts/cubic ft - AND how well insulated the oven is.

Ken H>

This ^^^ !!!

I own and daily use both the Evenheat 120V (18") and the 240V (22.5"). The 240V version is 3600 Watts and the 120V version is 1560.

Both work just fine. The 120V version takes about twice the time to work just fine. There is little difference in power consumption for a full cycle.

Choose based on your power availabilty. The 240 will get it done faster if you have 240 in your shop. The 120 will be fine if that's all you have.

The KO versions of the 240V models are more efficient. Nothing to do with power. They have thicker walls (insulation).

Hope that helps some.

Rob!

Greetings,

Whats really important is the fact that you are making your own knives... Get what you can afford... and what power is available...

Back