Milling machine or surface grinder

JPSWorks

As some of you know I've been on the hunt for a milling machine. However I have a bit of a dilemma. I can't decide whether to spend my money on a mill or a surface grinder.

I'm currently working on a total of three slipjoints. The hand sanding of all the pieces to get them truly flat is so time consuming and pretty hard on the hands, (I have an issue with nerve in my left wrist that comes and goes). And still things don't always line up truly flush.

When making folders I've been told a surface grinder is very important, if not a must. I agree with this and want to find a used or purchase the Travis Wuertz kmg grinder attachment, though it's very expensive. However I also feel I really need a mill for everything from precise drilling, milling pockets in folders etc.

I just can't decide which makes more sense to purchase first. I know it's more of a personal decision, but I just wanted to hear other's more experienced opinions on subject. What do all the folder makers here on knife dogs think?

Thanks,

John

I'm at the very same point. I'm gonna get the SG attachment first because I can make a user grade folder without a mill but like you said an SG is really important for keeping everything flat and parallel. I will eventually have both though.
I just thought of another factor. The SG attachment is kinda pricey but a decent mill and tooling will cost 2-3 times as much as the SG attachment.

Following this thread closely. I've researched this until I'm blue in the face- and just when you think there's a concensus you find another thread where the consensus is 180 out. Personally, I don't have room for a Bridgeport, so it would be a mini mill vs surface grinder in my case. Then I have this whole sticking point: I don't know how to run a mill!

I've talked to Travis about his SG and seen all his stuff at a show. It's nice, but like you've mentioned, its pretty expensive. Not knocking Travis at all, I really like him and he has an awesome product.

But, I've been semi-hunting for a SG too and I think you're money might be better spent with a traditional SG. I've seen a couple online go for around $500, last year somebody posted one on here for about that price too. I like the auto feature of the traditional ones better and I'm not crazy about setting up grinder attachments and lining stuff up and then taking it off again, etc.

The TW is like $1700. I think you could buy both a nice used mill and a used traditional SG for that much. Good luck.

I've wanted the TW grinder attachment for quite some time but haven't been able to get the money put aside for it. It is definitely very expensive, but I believe it is top quality too. I met Travis and I agree he's a great guy. I wish I had the money to buy it, and an awesome mill. In the mean time I'll have to get either a surface grinder or mill.

I constantly look to purchase a used surface grinder for belt conversion but haven't had any luck at all. I'll continue to search craigslist KC but if there are other ways to search for good used machines let me know and I'll search them as well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I'll weigh in here as a folder maker. one of the biggest leaps in my folder quality was make when I finally got my surface grinder. it has made it possible to get quicker, better fit ups that are time consuming to say the least by hand. I picked a used Hager pretty cheap on Crags list for 700 in great shape.

you didn't say what your budget is but you might be able to get a mini mill and a surface grind too for 1500 or so

Erik

Couldn't you just get the milling machine and mill things flat or am I missing something? Is that too time consuming compared to a dedicated surface grinder? I obviously have neither so I'm watching this thread too.

Couldn't you just get the milling machine and mill things flat or am I missing something? Is that too time consuming compared to a dedicated surface grinder? I obviously have neither so I'm watching this thread too.
I have this question as well. Could you mill it and at the worst do a very little hand sanding? Ed

I'm following this one too. I'm ready to get both of these and have room for one now and will have room for the other in March.

I was thinking about Travis' attachment but really felt it would limit me on bigger projects.

For a mill I have space for a BF20 size unit and I'm seriously looking at the Grizzly 0704 which can be later upgraded to function as a CNC unit.

For making liner lock knives I never use my milling machine but I wouldn't want to do without my surface grinder.
You might think you need a milling machine to drill your holes but a drill press will actually be faster and very precise if you take the time to set it up properly.

For making liner lock knives I never use my milling machine but I wouldn't want to do without my surface grinder.
You might think you need a milling machine to drill your holes but a drill press will actually be faster and very precise if you take the time to set it up properly.

Calvin, I don't want to hijack this thread but I really could use some pointers from a pro on how to make the most of a drill press. I don't have a machining background, so "square" is about the sum total of what I know in setting up my drill press. Anything I could do to reduce runout would be a huge improvement for me. Maybe we can start a new thread if you're willing to share some setup dos and don'ts?

I am fortunate to have both a mill and a SG, but I agree with Calvin, a surface grinder makes things a lot easier than the mill vs drill press.

I found my SG a Central Machinery 6x12 on Craigslist for $400. You may need to widen your search.I used the Search Temptest search engine to find mine. I had to search for about 2 months and drive 6 hours each way to get it, once I located one.

I did a quick search using the KC zip and found several within a 4 to 5 hour drive from you. Below is the link to the SearchTempest search engine. Good Luck with your search.

Jim

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Thank you all for your input. Any others folder makers please feel free to join in the discussion.

John

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I did a quick search using the KC zip and found several within a 4 to 5 hour drive from you. Below is the link to the SearchTempest search engine. Good Luck with your search.
/

I don't more help spending money Jim! Now I'm wanting to drive to St. Louis. There's a SG there for $500 that looks pretty good, kind of a long drive for me though. Good link, never heard of that before, but I'll be using it now.

As someone who makes folders and has both a mill AND a surface grinder, I'll add my $.02 I guess...

Honestly, they're both incredibly useful, but if I had to choose just one, it'd be a quality knee mill. Personally, I use my mill just about every time I'm out in the shop, from relieving liners, to milling tangs square, milling nail nicks, drilling (it's a lot easier to drill a true hole on a large mill than my dinky benchtop drill presses), and the list goes on. If I wanted to, I suppose I could even face my blades flat and true on my mill as well, though I'd need to get a little more creative with work holding. Now, that's just some of what I do for folders, not to mention countless other projects.

As for the surface grinder, like I say, it is very useful, and it did improve my folders, but is it completely necessary? Not exactly. It makes things a lot quicker and easier, but again, you have other options for getting things flat and/or parallel, including a mill.

All that being said, if you keep an eye out in the local classifieds and machinery dealers, you can probably find a serviceable surface grinder for about $500 bucks (give or take, I believe I gave about $450 for mine). Do understand though, used equipment can be priced low for two reasons: It's in the way and priced to clear some shop space, or it's worn and doesn't work too well anymore. Make sure you know which you are getting. Surface grinders can be very "finicky", and take quite a bit of things working correctly to get a good finish.

Mills can be found for relatively good deals too (depending on where you live), but the same caveats apply. If you hang on long enough, you may even find one that comes with some goodies, which are often worth well over the used price of the mill alone: vises, DROs, power feeds, tooling, work holders, etc.... The accessories add up FAST. So be patient and make sure you're getting a good deal.

Concerning Travis' attachment, the only thing I'll add is that $1700+ can buy a really nice (used) full sized knee mill around these parts, or a surface grinder with plenty left over for a belt conversion and then some. You'll then have a full sized machine that can do multiple parts at a time, as well as larger parts, depending on what your needs might be. Now, if you don't have the space, but you have the money, Travis' attachment is probably the way to go.

I have been making liner locks for about 35 years. my prices are from $300 to $1500. I could never find a surface grinder I could afford to buy or fit into my shop. All that time and I still wish it had been a machine I could of had!!!
By the way, the belt conversion is not a necessity if you use the proper type of wheel. It will be perhaps not be quite the finish you want but a couple of strokes on a flat surface will change that.
Frank

with a mill and about $200 in materials you can make a surface grinder attachment. not to mention all other kinds of tools.

Back