W2, Koa and a little damascus, a hunter this time...

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
Here's a hunter I finished recently. Seems appropriate for this time of year. This is nice and thin, even at the spine and is ground thin to match. It's a really keen edged slicer. Hard to go wrong with w2 and koa. :)

Specs:
Hand forged from W2 steel
No Clay, auto hamon with time and temp control of my salts.
8 3/4" overall, 4" blade, .160" thick at the ricasso
Full distal taper ending in a fine piercing point, false edge, not sharp (of course ;) )
Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge
My own damascus fittings, double line cut guard and fullered spacer
Coined bronze accent
Stabilized Koa hanlde
Damascus bolt cover

All comments and discussion welcome.

John

It is beautiful and looks handy to boot. Of all your knives, this type is my favorite. Just an everyday looking knife shape with a whole lot of extras! You can see the quality by looking at the knife. Very well done.

But, I have a serious question to ask and I am not trying to be difficult. How many of your clients actually use their knife in the field? If I owned that knife, I could not use it to cut up a deer. It is too pretty to get dirty/bloody. Just inquisitive, I guess.

DeMo

Classic John Doyle knife that I never get tired of looking at. One of my favorite profiles of yours John. Those coined spacers make us all envious.....one of these days I will have to try it.

Thanks Ed, Fred, Justin and DeMo. I appreciate the comments. I like this profile too. It's sleek and aggressive with the way the blade drops and the curve of the handle. I think it has good flow.

But, I have a serious question to ask and I am not trying to be difficult. How many of your clients actually use their knife in the field? If I owned that knife, I could not use it to cut up a deer. It is too pretty to get dirty/bloody. Just inquisitive, I guess.

DeMo

I actually have quite a few people that carry and/or use my knives. I don't know the hard numbers of course. I would guess that it's about 40% that use them. I know that I have hunters, folders and camp knives out there that are being used frequently. I know this particular knife will get used and get bloody. This guy is local but he's been all around the world hunting different game in different places.

Personally, I'd dive in and use any of them. That's what they're for I guess. :)

I have mixed feelings about this as I've thought about it before. Part of me is humbled and honored to make something that someone treasures as a display or collectible piece. I've had people order knives with the intent of using it but upon receiving it, they say "It's way too nice to get scratched up or dirty." That's a nice compliment.

On the other hand, part of me feels disappointed that I spend a lot of time testing my blades and gearing my knives towards high performance cutters first, as I think form follows function. To invest the time into the heat treating/geometry/ergonomics that make a good performing knife only to have it sit on a shelf or in a safe seems like a small tragedy of sorts.

I guess the bottom line is when they pay the money, they can choose to use it or not and I'll keep making them to be used of desired.

Good question/comment!

Another great knife from a great maker. I love the Damascus guard with the coined bronze accent, a classic Doyle look. And that's a great piece of koa too! Nicely done, John.

Stunning! I love the W2 koa combo! I think the time controlled hardening line it really cool! Could you explain you etching process a little?

I love your work!
Thanks for sharing
DR...

Absolutely phenomenal.

By the way, that curled chunk of steel next to the blade is screaming to have an edge put on it and used as a nostalgia straight razor of sorts. :)

Well this is just a perfect knife. i rarely say that when i see a knife, but this, this is just WOW! setting the bar for "clean"

Back