Was asked to make a Tracker clone/copy

wall e

I was asked by a co worker to make him a survival knife like the one from the movie The Hunted.
The inclination to make a knife and enhance my skills and tackle a new challenge made my mouth go sure I can try and make it close to it.
I explained I'm still a newbie and it may not be flawless, his reply is make it the best you can the way you want, I want the knife.
So here goes a new project, 1095 1/4" thick, 11.5 oal
Wish me luck. Lol

Make it! But, make it your own.
Study the design, use the best parts and add your personal touch to the rest of it.
your customer WANTS your input and skill added to an existing knife, or he would just buy the other one.
Good luck, post pics.

Regards,
Steve

I completely agree with Steve. I've made it a point to never copy a knife. It's certainly alright to use other people's work as inspiration, but you should put your own thoughts and tweaks into the design. You know, that something extra that makes the design your own and sets it apart from the rest. Best of luck with your build. I'll be following along.

I studied the design and in my rookie opine there are things that work but there are also things I dont like about the end product that I discussed at lunch with him about it. He wants the profile mainly is the eye appeal to him as far as how its ground or handle material. He wants a survival knife to be able to pass down to his kid and them to one of theirs. So it is better to call this a variant of the tracker profile and concept.
And yes I will post pics as it progresses. Here is my rough doodle/sketch
0673733bc756e6275544917e3fab0782.jpg

Give us a right side up picture of the sketch, you caveman!! :D ;)

Just teasing you Walt. I think you know that.

Sketch looks pretty decent. This will push your skills, which is good.

I might shorten and soften that long sharp point in the bird's beak area at the butt end of the handle. And your finger groove spacing might need tweaking. Other than that, it's a good start.

Ugh grunt no like tek nolo g. Lol I dunno why its upside down, tapatalk may have decided to auto rotate it for me.John, I did clearly say it was a rough doodle/sketch i.e. 6 min staring at a 2.5"tall pic on my phone and sketching then the wife said is bed time its 330 am . Lol lil teasing is appreciated. The only thing on there done with a ruler was the spine, the rest was free hand. It is a bit bunched on the finger grooves and I am going to have to get a bigger doodle pad.
The fun challenge is figuring it all out for the pice of 1095 I got. Well am just gonna heed the advice I was given and scale down the knife for the stock I have.

A quick point that you may or may not be able to use.Why not angle the spine serrations forward?This way it will cut easier.The profile looks really nice.

Regards:
Shaun

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U22 using Tapatalk

If they are actually saw teeth, wouldn't you want them angled backward so they cut on the pull stroke? I know I would.

I also just X cut the spine evenly to create off set saw teeth just a bit ago the idea popped into my head.

When I suggested the forwards angling teeth I was thinking of saws like I frequently use coping saws and hacksaws being amongs them.Most have the teeth angled forward and for some reason they just feel better if you know what I mean.Also if the blade slip on a backwards stroke with pressure on it I should think that it compounds the risk of injury to one self.

Regards:
Shaun

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U22 using Tapatalk

My hack saws and coping saws are always ran with the teeth facing backwards, on the pull stroke. Same with my wood saws and even jigs are ran with the teeth doing the cutting on the pull stroke (upwards). But to each their own.
I think with teeth facing forward and cutting on the push stroke, you ruin a chance of hitting a hard spot or knot and your hand sliding forward and then it has a chance of sliding across the blade.

Back