My new knife-like object

malignity

Here's the big brother to the other knife like object I posted in my "my first knife" thread.

It's not perfect, but it's kinda cool. Though the edge is straight, the plunge line is deeper on one side than the other, and I'm not sure how to fix that. The 'waves' in the blade were not intentional, and were added after I thinned the edge out too much. They're just meh.

The knife seems to hold a good edge, but I don't know what kind of steel it's made from. It's more of a practice nostalgia piece, however I've already been offered $100 for it. It has no maker's mark currently, because I don't have a maker's mark yet. I need to make a sheath for it.

I'm pretty proud of the handle. It's Osage Orange, tung oil stained and CA finished, and is a partially mortised/hidden tang where you can see how the spine comes through on the back and goes back in -- fully tanged in the front.

I just wanted to show you guys that I actually do try and make knife like objects and not just bombard you all with questions. :)

Thank you! For it only being my forth knife, I'm pretty proud of it. I've been getting a lot of requests for functional fantasy style blades now that people have seen my work, so I guess I'm going to have a steep learning curve. I've got a back order already of 4 blades, and only do this as a hobby. Lol

Half my time is just cutting the blade from pre-hardened steel as I don't have a forge yet. Hopefully soon though.

Back