Neck knives

roadapples

What happens to the remainder of the Farrier's rasp...
11999548_876740795695203_7804203358526380620_o.jpg

An old broken Nicholson file and coyote leg bone.

11958161_876740769028539_3723592150584491563_o.jpg

Haven't got to the sheaths yet... The chopper/ 'hawks were posted in the Tomahawk/ Axe forum...

Thanks for looking!

good work! There is often some negative commentary on knives made from old files. I personally love that steel (at least, 90% of the steel from old files, or worn out new files if they are Simmonds of Nicholsons). I originally thought that converting files into knives was not very common, historically. However, in Person's American Knives: The First History and Collector's Guide, he points out a significant number of knives made from worn out files. So, it was done a great deal in the US between the 1700's and 1970's or so. It is only in this era of cheap mail-order steel bar stock that we don't see as many files used.

anyway, just my own take on things. I like recycling, and I use and wear out a lot of files because I file heat treated sword blades with them. So, I make my shop tools from old files, and I also make a couple of knives from old files each year.

take care,

kc

Thanks Kevin! As a "Reformed" Farrier (Can't wrestle those nags with a bad back) I have a bunch of old Farriers rasps laying around, that have been used to various degrees. Use them for hot work until they're seriously dull and then make something out of them.

I just love anything Bone antler and file.
Just wondering what the copper on top was for would have liked to see a shot of that

Great work

Grandpa Don

Back