My First Flipper Folder - Reverse San Mai, Zirc & Amboyna Burl Inlay

Cory Martin Imaging

As many of you know, knife maker Peter Martin (recently participated in History Channel's "Forged In Fire" series) is my father. He's had a CNC milling machine for about 10 years but has been using it manually. I resurrected the CNC controller and after working out the quirks of the machine, it's up and running quite smoothly. I decided to design some of my own knives and I dove head first into the world of knife making. I signed the inside of the filler bar with "CMD" which stands for Cory Martin Designs...it may change to "CMK" replacing the "Designs" with "Knives".

Anyways, part of the other challenge I face is coming up with a style that has a high standard of quality like my dad's, but visually different enough so that there's no confusion when looking at them side by side. His early advice was to utilize the CNC with geometric patterns, inlays, etc. So the first one out the gate is a nice size flipper folder with some wood inlays. I haven't seen many flippers or tactical styled knives using woods, so that's naturally where my brain went to in order to stand out. My dad is pretty well known for his spectacular San Mai Damascus blades...I used his same process but I reversed the location of the layers...the tool steel is on the outside of the Damascus core which is another thing I haven't seen recently.

Maker: Cory Martin
(This is my photography website and I'll soon be adding a knives section)

Blade Length: 4"
Overall Length: 9"
Blade Material & Filler Bar: San Mai Damascus - 52100 over 320 Layer Twist Damascus Core with heavy layer of Nickel in between. Blade and filler bar are hot-blued.
Handle Material: Zirconium (Bead blast finish and colored black) with stabilized Amboyna Burl inlays.
Liner & Screw Material: Anodized Titanium

(click photo for hi-res image)

I open the replies up to any and all criticism...I'd rather get the "do's and don'ts" early on so I can steepen the learning curve for future knives.

Cory - that is beyond impressive - good work on the inlay. CNC is great for inlays - and that wood really sets that knife apart.

Ken H>

Back