Welding 1084

Black cat

I have a couple of knives on the go from Aldos 1084.
I want to cut the handle in half and weld a new piece onto it with the same 1084.

What welding rod is the best match for 1084 and should the process go something like this: weld>normalize>heat treat ? Or should the HT be done prior to the weld.
I know the weld would destroy the HT in the local material, im asking because im not sure how well the weld will heat treat if I do the weld first.

Thanks!

I always try to talk folks out of doing something like that....... at best its hit-n-miss to make it work, mainly because even if you use the same material for the "extra", you're still going to be using a dissimilar material for the filler (the welding rod). In my experience its like concrete....its not a matter of IF it will fail, its a matter of WHEN. If you decide to do it, my advice would be..... If it doesn't crack/break right after you weld it, anneal it, then do the steps you mentioned.
If these happen to be full tang knives, the weld is going to be very noticable in the finished knives.....you just won't find any type of welding rod that will match the "color". (assuming these are full tangs).

Personally I would feel worlds safer using a mechanical method.....like a threaded barrel, or some other type of mechanical attachment. (if these are hidden tangs)

I suspect you've read something somewhere about others "welding" tangs or tang extensions onto blades........ experience has taught me that its just not a good idea, and more times then not, its setting yourself up for failure.

Perfect thats pretty much what I was wondering. Well I guess ill take that idea off the table.
Thanks!

I want to cut the handle in half and weld a new piece onto it with the same 1084.

What welding rod is the best match for 1084 and should the process go something like this: weld>normalize>heat treat ? Or should the HT be done prior to the weld.
I know the weld would destroy the HT in the local material, im asking because im not sure how well the weld will heat treat if I do the weld first.

Thanks!

hi, try reading this, should give you some guidance http://www.weldreality.com/toolsteelsO.htm seems for best results, HT first.

Thanks!

Hi black cat, are you planning to weld by electrodes or rod? i think spot welding method for such little pieces. if this is your first time to weld, i suggest you to find some guidance and suggestions.
below is the link for American Welding Society, the most authoritative organization.
http://www.aws.org/
there are many useful resources which may help you.

Not sure what you're exact application is, but I thought I'd throw out a couple examples. First, I welded two tiny pieces of Alabama Damascus together for a pocket clip, I shared a wip on that one. I didn't use filler rod, just fusion welded with a TIG. Secondly, I had two holes in some air hardening stainless that I filled. I cut a sliver of the same steel to use as a filler rod and TIG'd them up. On both of these, the steel was annealed and heat treating seemed fine, no issues.

Last edited:
Back