YEAH! my first hamon!

funkyjedi

11150923_518454471645601_6034529551149850459_n.jpg11216247_518454491645599_4602616505702097486_n.jpg
So, it turns out that when you take the advice of the gurus on this site, things work out pretty well!

This is a skinner I am making for an upcoming elk bow hunt (which I admit by making a skinning knife all but eliminates my chances of actually killing an elk). I used the last half of the piece of 1075 that I cracked by trying to quench a prior knife in hot water. These are "in progress" pics of the knife, and it also turns out that taking a picture of these rascals is not that easy, but you get the gist of it from these.

thanks to Ed Caffrey, Taylormadeknives, GHEzell, and Stezann for steering me in the right direction.

I am really excited to make a couple more with hamons. Seeing it come out of the etchant for the first time and getting a good look at it is a rush in and of itself.

Again, Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the help.

chris

Wow!!! it is beautiful, also the blade shape!!
The more pricey and glittering fishing lure i buy, the less chance i have to actually get a fish....so i'm with you and your elks ;)
At least if you won't see the elk you won't ruin that beautiful hamon finish eh eh :)

Wow!!! it is beautiful, also the blade shape!!
The more pricey and glittering fishing lure i buy, the less chance i have to actually get a fish....so i'm with you and your elks ;)
At least if you won't see the elk you won't ruin that beautiful hamon finish eh eh :)

You're not kidding. I can only imagine what itll look like after skinning an elk, but again, thats why I made it. :) I will take some finished pictures here in a bit to show the actual knife all done... It came out pretty well!

finished!

elk skinner.jpgYou ever wander around your house with your phone in hand trying to get the neighbors wifi? Thats what i looked like as I stumbled around the garage trying to get the right light to make this look decent. Finally got a good spot and took the pic. Not glamorous, but you can see the finished product. Steel is 1075, I used several loose abrasives that I got from the ceramics department at my school and mixed them with either wd40 or 3 in 1 oil for polishing. The handle is coolibah burl with stainless pins. I put a tube in the tube in top pinhole, you know, for good luck.

Thanks again for the support and kind help. It really came out as well as I had hoped, probably better, actually. :)

Very well indeed! i like the way you polished it, way better than the black oxide finish many left on their hamon, IMHO

Back