Friction folder, code name DAG.

Anthony, like I said that is something I was told from the time i started making knives. I can't say for sure that the V at plunge is going to be an issue or not. Just thought I would throw it out there. The sanding of the blade has came along well. When you get this one finished it will be like conquering the world the way things have fought you. Really like the design and looks of this one. Hang in there the finish will be worth it!!!

Anthony, just read this thread for the first time. Sorry to see the wood failure, it happens to all of us. Had to laugh when I read about your fancy twisted titanium coated centerline scribe. Used one of them myself for a long time, clamped to the drill press table. I kept telling myself I was going to make one....should be easy enough. Finding the time was the obstacle, so I finally just bought one. Just another one of them tools that makes things a little easier ....... as long as you can find it when its time to use it.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've got an odd question, maybe someone knows. Is there any way to darken SS screws a little? Maybe more of a gun metal gray? I'm afraid bright shiny SS screws and pivot aren't going to look so great, but ferric chloride doesn't affect them. Brass hardware would be awesome, but I haven't found anything like that.

Got my fingers crossed that I get a little package in the mail today with some black G10 in it. I told my wife if it comes in, she won't see me until bedtime the next couple of nights. Etched my mark in it last night and filled it in with fingernail polish to protect it from the acid dip, per Calvin's tips in another post.

Um, havn't tried it on anything yet, but I have a can of something called "speed dip" or something like that down in the garage. It's actually intended for fur trappers to treat traps with. I know the goop in the can is black, and from what I've seen on YouTube, it's sorta a metal dye of some kind. Also supposed to cover scent, reduce corrosion, etc...
Part of the reason I havn't tried it on anything yet though is because you actually mix the stuff with gasoline to use it and thats not something really I like fiddling with more than I have to.

Ahhhh... Heat coloring, why didn't I think of that? Thanks Calvin, I'll experiment a little tonight to see what I can come up with. A nice bronze would be perfect, we'll see.

Got my new scale material today, back on track.
photo 111.jpg photo 112.jpg photo 113.jpg photo 114.jpg

Probably silly, but I've been wanting to try this...
photo 115.jpg photo 116.jpg photo 117.jpg photo 118.jpg

Almost caught back up to where I was with the wood. Shape the scales tomorrow.
photo 119.jpg

Yeah, my left and right scales have to be a little different at the rear due to the pocket clip. Of course, I grabbed the wrong one and went right after it. Five scales for one knife? What's wrong with that? :biggrin:

Yeah, my left and right scales have to be a little different at the rear due to the pocket clip. Of course, I grabbed the wrong one and went right after it. Five scales for one knife? What's wrong with that?
Ugh, man that sucks. I actually did the same exact thing with one of my last folders. I wrecked two sets of scales. Sorry man. But, we can't be perfect every single time. I have to remind myself the mistake is a lesson, the mistake is a lesson.

Well is part of the learning curve, just make another folder and use the other side liner and make another one from some plain steel for some one for christmas. Tryin to make an oops a positive for ya.

Got to make new/final screws, sharpen, and hopefully no more screw ups!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 32
Blood, sweat and tears. Looks like you've put your heart and soul into this knife. I've enjoyed following along with you on this one. It's going to look great.

She's a doozie. Nice work there Mr Self, congrats on completing your first folder an in damascus no less.

Back