Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

I am done and it is only the middle of September. I guess I need more to do . . .

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

1095 with sambar stag, orange, red and yellow G-10, brass guard, spacers, butt cap, and pin.

Sheath is dark brown and saddle tan.

DeMo

DSC04709.jpg
That is a really impressive knife!! You really went above and beyond!!

Nice work DeMo. That's a visually striking knife.....colors, materials and lines/profile. Now what are going to do for 3 1/2 monts?

Oh.....don't want to leave the sheath out. It's a fantastic sheath and the colors of it compliment the knife nicely.

How'd you get all the wrinkles and lint off your sweater to use it as a background for the photo? ;)

Last edited:
John

It is a pillow case! I wish I had a neat sweater like that. . . har-har.

To clean it up, I used my wife's roller lint brush. Please don't tell her. :3:

I will stay busy on other knife projects. I have a hamon to conquer.

This knife/sheath I just could not put down and felt compelled to get it completed.

DeMo

Here's my idea for the KITH contribution. I'm a folder guy and this is a new design that I'm anxious to try. I hope no one would be disappointed to receive a little liner lock.

Bobcat.jpg

It's a fairly small knife that should make for a great EDC if all goes well. I plan on using CPM 154 for the blade, 416 for the bolsters and spacer, 6al4v titanium for the liners, and I haven't decided on what material to use for the scales yet. I'll have to mill around in my scale box until something jumps out at me. Since the theme of this KITH is to stretch our talent boundaries, I think I'm going to try adding a pocket clip to this knife. I've only made one knife with a clip, and it certainly could have been better. Hopefully this one works out.

I'm going to try and get ambitious with my KITH entry this year. I have been wanting to do a slipjoint for quite a while now and I just need to do it.
Here are my sketches.
5xWsLv5.jpg

Worst case scenario, I have some fixed blades in AEB-L heat treated and ready for handles if this project goes south.

Chris

Is anyone opposed to receiving a kitchen knife? I'm just getting the shop back up and running- I recently moved and the move took a lot longer than expected. To make the December deadline I have to go with a blade that I was making for myself, which is a Nakiri. Being that this KITH is about stretching ourselves, I am planning a traditional style Wa handle using multiple woods.

If you guys aren't cool with receiving this style of knife, I'll gladly withdraw from the KITH with no hard feelings whatsoever.

nakiri side view.jpg
This is a nakiri, for anyone not familiar with Japanese style culinary knives. The difference being that the knife in the pic has a western style handle and the one I plan to make will have a Wa style.

Last edited:
I say go for it John. A kitchen knife in all probability will see more use than most anything else. I would be proud to have a kitchen knife made by you.

Chris

Man, these all look amazing. I am still in the "design phase" on mine. I have a knife I've made for myself and my best friend that I will probably make again, its a hunter/utility knife. Ill get going on it now that hunting is over for the season. I'll have some time to dink around in the shop.

Kitchen knife, slip joint folder, sharp rock . . . it does not matter to me.

Just make sure to take a picture of it on a Christmas pillow case.

Come on Christmas - get here faster.

DeMo

A nice kitchen knife will be fine and may even be preferred by a few people. Hey here's a thought, after this KITH is over, we may wanna see if there is any interest in a Kitchen KITH.

Mine is finished. Hand rubbed AEB-L with 416 SS bolsters & Sambar Stag scales. I'll get some pics posted when I get some pants made for it.

A nice kitchen knife will be fine and may even be preferred by a few people. Hey here's a thought, after this KITH is over, we may wanna see if there is any interest in a Kitchen KITH.
Yes, to the Kitchen Knife KITH idea
Mine is finished. Hand rubbed AEB-L with 416 SS bolsters & Sambar Stag scales. I'll get some pics posted when I get some pants made for it.
Sounds amazing!!! Seems like everyone is getting done really early!! I need to get moving!

Well, not everyone. All I've finished so far is the drawing! :nothing:

Chris
Good to know I'm not alone!...I haven't drawn anything yet though...probably will be knife out of 52100 with a etched hardening line that's all I know. I'm think a hunting knife but I'm not really sure how/where to push myself without completely flopping.... Cheers!

Back