Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

Just got the blade back from ht and tomorrow is clean up an fit an post some pics pre glue up.

8d997ca63f567562a687d2e2e2ea89cd.jpg

I'm real close, just a little finish sanding.....then my least favorite part of knifemaking...Sheath Making!!! I'm going to try and do a combo horizontal or vertical carry sheath.

I ready! Carter Original necker in 52100 steel(a favorite of mine) and Navy kirinite with orange linger and carbon fiber pins.
411917851.jpg

Excellent work, gentlemen. Anyone would be proud to own any knife that has been posted here. I can't wait for the drawing to get here. It's almost like Christmas. Wait, it's exactly like Christmas . . .! ! !

All done but the crying now. My blade is ready for hand sanding and then the handle goes on. I have to say this blade is the best looking finish grind I've ever done... but I still can't bring myself to call a blade "done" without hand sanding it. Oh well, it gives me something physical to do after I stuff my fat gut with way too much dinner tomorrow! I can work off the pecan pie as I work through the grits! mmmmmm..grits....

10383948_550613708429677_7330528249545229945_n.jpg12313517_550613948429653_420488248413434461_n.jpg12234856_550614155096299_3576211390199881847_n.jpg
This will serve as my status update. I heat treated tonight and will begin the labor of love that is hand sanding the nonsense out of it tomorrow (or Friday, triptophan is a very real, very dangerous thing.)

I decided to wing it. I havent done that in a while, and it has been fairly satisfying. Just drawing and grinding, seeing where it goes.. Kinda fun. I am terrible at classifying my knives, hunter, bushcraft, skinner, etc. So I just call them knives and let everyone else figure out what they want to use them for.

I will say, it is a little smaller than I had originally planned on, but I like the feel of the blank so far. I gave it a fairly aggressive tapered tang and did a full vine filework pattern from the tip to the heel. I really like it. Almost enough to just keep it, but thats no fun. Ill post more in the next couple of days as I finish it. One of the perks of being a high school teacher, extended breaks on holidays.

I am thankful for all of the awesome people on this site always ready to help. Have a great Thanksgiving all!!!

Really liking what I'm seeing fellas!
I had hoped to enter a slipjoint in the KITH this year but it just won't happen. I had some other obligations that took longer than expected and well, life just happens sometimes.:what!: I finally decided last week, that it wouldn't be a good idea to try and rush 2 slipjoints (participating in the BF KITH as well) in less than 2 weeks, especially being as they would only be my 2nd and 3rd slipjoints ever.
Here is what I am going with. I had a couple tapered tang fixed blades in AEB-L that were ready for handles. Going with G10 bolsters, liners and spacers with cocobolo scales.
sz2Bwql.jpg

hCualzc.jpg

KCPM5Bz.jpg

Currently ready to start shaping the handles. Hoping to get the handles finished tonight or tomorrow morning and I can start on the sheaths.
Thanks for looking!
Chris

I peened my first ever fixed blade bolsters on today. Glued red fiber liners on scales. Keeping fingers crossed pins disappear, if they don't, I wouldn't feel good about letting this one out of the shop. So, guess we'll see tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 36
So far so good, at least at 120 grit pins aren't visible. Glued scales on just now, still have fingers crossed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 27
for the life of me I can't figure out how you guys make the epoxy process look so clean and tidy. mine always look like a hot mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the profile of my monstro guppy. Lol 5160 blade, stabilized curly black walnut handle. Sorry for the crummy pic. Glue up pics tomorrow.
uploadfromtaptalk1448703950264.jpg

Last edited:
if i get your knife I promise I won't care if i can see the pins

Thanks John, but I think you're safe. I roughed out the scales and bolsters this morning and it's looking good. I'm kind getting excited about it now, this may end up as one of my best so far. I'm not on the same level as some of you yet, but I'm gaining on you!

Back