Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

If you have a question, wanna post a pic, or give us an update about the Christmas KITH please do it here. The other thread is for entries only. WIPS for your KITH entries are encouraged but not required.

Thought I would start this up with my drawing for the KITH. Here are the specs:
(subject to change)

Hunter/Utility
1084 Aldo - Stick tang
OAL - 11" Blade 5.5"
Handle - Stacked leather
Pommel & guard - 304 SS
G10 & Mycarta spacers

I have only made one of these before. Darrin says "this is a perfect chance to increase your skill level even if only a small bit." So, I'm taking the challenge.

I welcome all comments or critiques !! Troy

cb574cec-0040-49c2-a150-934668300dd9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's my plan. I think I'll make both of these at the same time, one to sell and one for kith. My design is inspired by a knife Randy Haas posted on here a while back. I asked him if it was ok to to make one similar and he gave me permission. Of course mine will pale in comparison to his. My "new" challenge for myself will be tapered tangs. I haven't tried it before, so wish me luck.
image.jpg

Thought I would start this up with my drawing for the KITH. Here are the specs:
(subject to change)

Hunter/Utility
1084 Aldo - Stick tang
OAL - 11" Blade 5.5"
Handle - Stacked leather
Pommel & guard - 304 SS
G10 & Mycarta spacers

I have only made one of these before. Darrin says "this is a perfect chance to increase your skill level even if only a small bit." So, I'm taking the challenge.

I welcome all comments or critiques !! Troy

cb574cec-0040-49c2-a150-934668300dd9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
That looks great! hope it turns out like you planned! I love the design!

Here's my plan. I think I'll make both of these at the same time, one to sell and one for kith. My design is inspired by a knife Randy Haas posted on here a while back. I asked him if it was ok to to make one similar and he gave me permission. Of course mine will pale in comparison to his. My "new" challenge for myself will be tapered tangs. I haven't tried it before, so wish me luck.
Nice!! fitting the scales to the guard on a tapered tang can be tricky but tapered tangs are to bad...doing them well?...well that's another matter :biggrin:
Good luck!

I think I'm going to make some kind of neck knife....thinking about a kitchen knife though.

DR...

My first tapered tang! I don't know why I've been avoiding trying it, wasn't that bad at all to grind. I guess I'll still have to wait and see on fitting scales. This one is 0.193" at the ricasso and 0.100" at the tang. How thin do you go? I think I'll leave it at that for this one. It's tapered on both ends now.
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg photo 22.jpg photo 11.jpg

Here is my thought on my KITH knife. I like the idea - not necessarily the colors. Above the picture is a piece of stag that will be utilized.

DeMo

DSC04685.jpg

Here is my thought on my KITH knife. I like the idea - not necessarily the colors. Above the picture is a piece of stag that will be utilized.

DeMo

DSC04685.jpg

I really like the whole design on that one!!

My first tapered tang! I don't know why I've been avoiding trying it, wasn't that bad at all to grind. I guess I'll still have to wait and see on fitting scales. This one is 0.193" at the ricasso and 0.100" at the tang. How thin do you go? I think I'll leave it at that for this one. It's tapered on both ends now.
COOL! I like to take my tapered tangs as thin as possible(1/16" or even a bit less especally on thinner stock where it's a little harder to notice) but what you did will looks good!

Here is my knife. I know, I am an over achiever. I am just about finished and it is only September. But, I got started on this knife and I could not stop working on it until it was nearly finished.

I am working on the sheath and then I can final polish and sharpening.

I went with orange, yellow and red instead of blue, green and yellow. Being this is a Christmas KITH - I used traditional Christmas colors.

Here is a crappy desktop picture. I will get better ones in the light box when I complete the knife and sheath.

Now, let's see what all you have started! I cannot wait until Christmas . . . :happy:

DeMo

DSC04687.jpg

Nice one. I like the unique colors and blade shape. You're setting the bar kind of high... Having a nice knife done so early. I better get to work.

Nice one. I like the unique colors and blade shape. You're setting the bar kind of high... Having a nice knife done so early. I better get to work.

Matt

I am glad you like it. I had a hard time, not working on it. My OCD kicked in and I could not put it down. I just had to get it finished.

It was either go to my day job and pay the bills or work on this knife. Unfortunately, I have even more bills to pay and now I really have to go back to work.

I am by no means completely finished. But, I should be able to get it all done by the December 1st deadline. I have a pretty good start.

DeMo

If I dont work until it's done, I have a hard time going back to it. But on the other hand, I have a hard time stoping too.

Knowing that you will be getting a knife for x-mas will make your day job easier to bare for the next couple months.

I put a couple pics of what I've started on the first page of thread. I'm working on a couple hunter/edc style fixed blades. Also my first tapered tangs.

I am done and it is only the middle of September. I guess I need more to do . . .

Merry Christmas to all!!!!

1095 with sambar stag, orange, red and yellow G-10, brass guard, spacers, butt cap, and pin.

Sheath is dark brown and saddle tan.

DeMo

DSC04709.jpg

Back