Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

I saw a fellers knives he made that had contrasting woods and brass spacers so, upon the rummaging through the bin and metal drawer I have an idea for a knife. Will post my doodle in a bit.

Hey Walt,
if you haven't already, sign up on the Christmas KITH thread and Darren will add you to the list. I didn't see you on there.

Not yet I haven't, Matt will try and find it now. It is a bit frustrating using this updated tapatalk app thing, everythings all jumbled one day then straightened out the next.

I made a little progress on my liner lock submission over the weekend. I got the blade heat treated, the pivot system built, the open and closed positions of the blade dialed in, and I got started on shaping the handle. The more I work with this knife, the more I'm liking it. My shop time is usually limited to a few hours on the weekends, so it always takes me a long time to finish a knife. I hope this one will be worth the wait. I have posted a few more WIP photos on my blog if you want to follow along with this build. Let me know what you think.

WP_20151003_17_34_04_Pro.jpg

I made a little progress on my liner lock submission over the weekend. I got the blade heat treated, the pivot system built, the open and closed positions of the blade dialed in, and I got started on shaping the handle. The more I work with this knife, the more I'm liking it. My shop time is usually limited to a few hours on the weekends, so it always takes me a long time to finish a knife. I hope this one will be worth the wait. I have posted a few more WIP photos on my blog if you want to follow along with this build. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 56698
That's looking REALLY good!

Wow, Brandant, you going to the Belle of the Ball if you keep it up. Looking good, but now you're making me feel like I need to step it up myself. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks, Daniel and Anthony, I'm glad you like it. I just hope that it will measure up to to the others that will be put into the hat.

How many pins do you see? Peening practice before I try it on the actual bolsters. This will be my first peened bolsters, kind of scared I'll mess it up. Test went ok, that's 800 grit finish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 60
304 stainless on both. I put 2 pins in this test piece and peened and finished both sides, nothing showing at 800 grit so I was pretty happy.

It looks like Jack Skellington about 1/2 way through the piece just below the notch on the steel. Looks really clean and well done.

If you zoom in there is what looks like a pin but the metal has sanding lines that form Jack the pumpkin kings head from nightmare before christmas.
About center of the piece, 1/16 below the small notch.

Hey, well done, Anthony! Looks like you're ready for the real thing. Just take a deep breath and start smacking!

I'm trying to decide on the knife that I will put in the hat,I have 5 different knives completed at the moment and I think I will number them and have a little drawing on my own to see witch one will go in the hat .

Well Considering there is only 51 days left before I need to be done I figured I better get started today :biggrin:

thought I'd make a Jack Folder with a Damascus blade and a lazy S Bolster. I think I might even raid my stash of Bog-Oak to top it all off. heres what I got done this afternoon after church. Lots of work to be done.

Erik
Erik Land Kith 2.jpgErik Land Kith 3.jpgErik Land Kith.jpg

OK, today's been a roller coaster day of feelings. it was all starting out good. got the blade and spring hardened and tempered. got the bolsters silver soldered on and all the edges cleaned up. I was really happy about how things were turning out. the bolster looked great and lined up pretty good top and bottom.

Started cleaning up the blade and AHHHHHH!!!! the dreaded crack! I know its all part of the game and when working with Damascus your odds get even worse for blade failure.

Ill have to grind and fit a new blade in the Morning with a fresh new look on things.

Erik

folder kith 4.jpgfolder kith 5.jpgfolder kith 6.jpgfolder kith 7.jpg

I made some more progress on my folder over the weekend that I thought I would share. I finished up the "guts" of the knife, i.e. the lock and detent, ground and hand rubbed the blade, and file worked the liners and spacer. I should be able to finish this knife up next weekend. These pics are terrible (stupid cheep phone pics) but if you squint just right, I think you can make out a few of the details. I'm really liking this one. It's going to be a little hard to part with it come December.

WP_20151012_16_57_41_Pro.jpgWP_20151012_16_57_51_Pro.jpg

Good stuff guys.

So I'm thinking this is what I'm gonna role with. Little cleaver, Ironwood and going to try for a quench line, hamon. I like the last one I made a lot so if ya don't like it I will keep it
cd1a7ecd49165e50c750ce173e792f27.jpg

Back