Christmas KITH Questions, PICS & Updates

cncutter - very nice.

Justin - If it turns out any close to your last one, you will be just fine. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Come on Christmas!!!!

DeMo

I did a knife for this KITH as soon as it was announced but I didn't try anything new accept for using orange G10. I have decided to try and do something very different to me. I'm going to give a hidden tang a shot. Here is my design so far. Please let me know if you see anything that can be improved, especially the riccasso area and tang. My 1 and 5 year old assisted with the drawings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 41
Well done, Erik! The bog oak scales pair beautifully with the damascus blade, makes for a great combination. A truly beautiful knife. Any tips you're willing to share on fitting the lazy S scales to the bolsters? I've tried a few curved bolsters with varying degrees of success, but I'd love to know how others do it.

Well had a little drawing to see what was going in the hat,One of my Orca model's in O1 with a acid etched and stone washed blade.Black and red linen micarta.Did a wet molded and distressed vegetable tanned sheath.25 degree edge is shaving sharp.Never did a full wet mold before,always did a fitted sheath.I thought I would give this one a try and soaked it in boiling water then put the knife in and out it in my kydex press.The leather turned very ridged.

Attachments

• IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 41
Hey Matt. The hidden tang knife looks good with pleasing proportions and nice lines, both blade and handle. If I might offer two suggestions....

1. I think I'd make the tang a little longer, as long as possible actually. I try to keep mine about 1/2" or so from the butt of the handle.

2. I know it's just a drawing but I'd advise to make your spine of the blade nice and straight and the clip nice and straight with a deliberate, crisp, sharply defined 'corner' there, if that makes sense. I assume you're going to do that anyway as I said, it's just a drawing. I just wanted to mention it.

Looks great though. Looking forward to seeing it finished up.

Going back, I see one more thing. I'd make sure you're pin is centered in your handle, top to bottom (not end to end), not centered in your tang. It's a hidden tang so as long as the pin goes through it, it doesn't matter if it's not centered in the tang. It should be visually centered in the handle though. Again, maybe you already planned on that and just didn't put it like that on the drawing.

Last edited:
Hey Matt. The hidden tang knife looks good with pleasing proportions and nice lines, both blade and handle. If I might offer two suggestions....

1. I think I'd make the tang a little longer, as long as possible actually. I try to keep mine about 1/2" or so from the butt of the handle.

2. I know it's just a drawing but I'd advise to make your spine of the blade nice and straight and the clip nice and straight with a deliberate, crisp, sharply defined 'corner' there, if that makes sense. I assume you're going to do that anyway as I said, it's just a drawing. I just wanted to mention it.

Looks great though. Looking forward to seeing it finished up.

Going back, I see one more thing. I'd make sure you're pin is centered in your handle, top to bottom (not end to end), not centered in your tang. It's a hidden tang so as long as the pin goes through it, it doesn't matter if it's not centered in the tang. It should be visually centered in the handle though. Again, maybe you already planned on that and just didn't put it like that on the drawing.

Thank you for having a look at my drawing. I went ahead and cut it out and filed the shoulders but I didn't like how the spine looked so I stopped there. I will use your advise with my next tang and pin lay out, it is greatly appreciated.

Ok, here is my entry. It is 1/8" AEB-L @ 62 RC with a full flat grind and a 600X hand rubbed finish. The blade is 2 & 5/8" from tip to bolsters and is 1 & 3/16" wide @ the Ricasso. The handle is Sambar Stag and is ~3.5" long. Overall length is ~6 & 1/8". Bolsters & pins are 416 stainless.
This is a small knife but I wear a M/L size glove and can get a full 4 finger hold on it. Should make a great small game knife or EDC.

Attachments

• 2015 Xmas KITH #1 .jpg
    2015 Xmas KITH #1 .jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015 Xmas KITH #2 .jpg
    2015 Xmas KITH #2 .jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 2015 Xmas KITH #3 .jpg
    2015 Xmas KITH #3 .jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 52
Darrin................WOW........you killed that one Pal. What a great looking little knife. Someone is going to be a happy camper for sure.

Almost wish that was for sale. :)

That's a great little knife, Darrin! It's the perfect size for everyday chores. Whoever ends up with it should be happy as a clam.

Matt - Your knife is coming along nicely. I like what I see so far. What are you going to use for the handle and guard?

Darren - You need to sign a contract with the Royals. They can always use another home run hitter.

DeMo

Matt - Your knife is coming along nicely. I like what I see so far. What are you going to use for the handle and guard?

Darren - You need to sign a contract with the Royals. They can always use another home run hitter.

DeMo
The plan is a CF gaurd and black Mesquite handle but I fitted the guard pre HT and after cleaning up the ricasso post HT the guard doesn't fit snug so I have to come up with another one.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Matt-Sometimes you can put the blade and guard in a vise and hit the vise with a hammer as you tighten it. This allows you to squeeze the guard together to close the slot. You'll have to re-finish the guard but it will save the time and trouble of making a new one. I hope I explained that well enough to make sense. If not, give me a call.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Matt-Sometimes you can put the blade and guard in a vise and hit the vise with a hammer as you tighten it. This allows you to squeeze the guard together to close the slot. You'll have to re-finish the guard but it will save the time and trouble of making a new one. I hope I explained that well enough to make sense. If not, give me a call.

I think Matt has a carbon fiber guard. I guess I read "CF" as carbon fiber. I am not sure this technique will work with carbon fiber. Thoughts?

DeMo

Back