2 speed buffer advice needed

Grizzly Bear

Hi guys. I guess I lost my original post, keep hitting the wrong buttons.

I need some much needed advice. Are 2 speed (1,800/3,600 rpm) Baldor buffers just as good as one 1,800 rpm and one 3,600 rpm buffer?

I am trying to kill two birds with one stone. I found a 3/4 HP and a 1 HP two speed Baldor buffer at www.buschshineproducts.com . Do you guys think
these 2 speed buffers are any good as compared to individual 1,800 rpm and 3,600 rpm machines?

If I go with a single speed buffer, either 1,800 rpm or 3,600 rpm, should I go with a 1/2 HP, 3/4 HP, 1 HP or 2 HP buffer?

Should I go with 115 V or 230 V. ? Many of these can be wired either way.

Thanks so much for you opinions and advice. Like every thing else, as a Newbie who is setting up shop, I am scratching my head over this.

Thanks

Grizzly Bear

I suspect opinions will vary, but for for me personally, I've owned one 3/4hp buffer that was 3600 rpm, and I will never own another. Most agree that a buffer is the most dangerous piece of equipment in a shop, and in my experience a 3600 rpm model is as deadly as it gets. In my case, I was lucky, the buffer "grabbed" a blade out of my hands, and literally punched it THROUGH the shop wall, leaving a hole the size of a softball. I found the knife in a "U" shape, about 20 feet away (outside) from the hole in the wall. I unplugged the buffer, unbolted it from the bench, and sold it at a loss to a second hand store the next day.

Since that time I have never had anything faster then 1800 rpm. Obviously there is a place/need for a 3600 rpm buffer, but I've never experienced a situation where I felt I need more rpms then 1800.

Currently I own both a 3/4hp Baldor, and a 1hp Jet buffer. The major difference between the two is the length of the shafts. In my estimation, the 3/4hp Baldor is just as powerful as the 1hp Jet......but I like the Jet better because of the longer shafts.

I took a look at the link you provided, and based on the cost, and on my personal experinces, I would have no reasoning for buying the 2 speed buffer, and would suggest nothing faster then 1800rpm. Generally a 3/4hp Baldor motor will do whatever you need in the knife shop.....but a 1hp is an option.

Ed, thanks a lot for your input. You have provided me with the much needed advice that I needed.

I will go with the 1800 jet. (There's nothing wrong with being a copy-cat if you are copying someone you admire!).

Thanks,

Grizzly Bear

Back