KITH idea

Self Made Knives

Grizz asked the other day if anyone was organizing a KITH this year, but no one really said much. I was way too new last year to try it, mainly a confidence thing. I'm still new, but I've gotten a lot better. I wondered why the lack of response to Grizz, is everyone just too busy? I've looked through the forum and there appears to have been a KITH for about the past 5 years or so. So, my first question is the same as his: will there be one this year?

Second question. I wonder if a lot of "pro" builders shy away from the KITH because of us newbs? I can understand not wanting to trade a $500 blade and receive a newb attempt. Soooo......how about a newb only KITH? Has that ever been tried? Maybe set it up for guys that are only part time makers with less than 2 years experience. Or maybe, less than 4 years experience? Something along those lines? Opinions and ideas?

OK, I'll bite and show my ignorance at the same time, what's a KITH?
My only known definition is "a group of familiar people or family members" as in "Kith and kin."

KITH stands for "Knife in the Hat". I believe it originates in the depression era where people could not afford to buy new items. Guys would get together and throw their pocket knives in a hat and then take turns grabbing their "new" knife out.

Anthony, I've taken part in the KITH on BF the last 2 years. 1 year they tried to make categories and it just didn't work well. It worked best when everyone was just together in 1 group and even then, there were only like 15 of us to participate. I may be wrong, but I think the biggest issue for people the time factor.

Chris

I've done 3 KITH events and they are fun. The last one end in the summer of 2014.

Due to a foot injury I've been out of the shop for 10+ months. When the Doc releases me I would participate in one.

Part of the issue may be that quite a few say they will do it and around a third or more drop out. The ones I've enjoyed were well run and coordinated but, even with the best being done by the person running it, dedicating all the time and effort to it, there are still bumps. In some cases that individual made good on the issues in order to have a successful event.

In my case I received knives of what I consider good and of equal value.

Last edited:
Sounds like something to do at the next hammer-in. Plan for it in advance and let it happen.

I know this post has only been on here for a day, but no one seemed to care much when Grizz asked about it either. I get the feeling there just isn't any interest in it. I was thinking about doing the KITH on your facebook group George, but I don't "know" any of those guys on there like I do here. I just thought it would be more fun here.

I have a feeling there is interest in a KITH but it may be a timeing thing. A lot of guys are full booked up with summer things and the thought of adding to that may be over whelming . I did the last kith and had a good time but it was a winter time thing. Lots of part time grinders are looking for stuff to do when it's cold out

if we do have a kith I'd be into it

Erik

A Christmas KITH should give everybody plenty of time to get a nice piece ready. If we can get 10 people to commit to making something to the best of their ability I'll administrate it unless y'all have someone else in mind. If we get enough people to commit, I'll start a Christmas KITH thread and describe the rules/parameters there. Once we get 10 "I'm in's" here, I'll start the thread. Again, if someone else wants to administrate it that's cool with me.

By the way, if we get 10 commitments and I lose track of this thread for some reason, someone please send me a PM and let me know.

In in. A Christmas KITH sounds just right to me. I've never done one and have no idea how to set it up, so thanks Darrin for offering. Surely there's 10 of us.

I have been in 4 different themed KITH's and am currently in another that will
end on Halloween night. I would like to contribute in this one as well.
Count me in ! Troy

Anthony the one on Face Book was Craig Collier's idea. Nathan and I just agreed to it based on members interest.

Due to medical reasons I haven't been in the shop since last October. As an admin on the group I setup the event that Craig is running.

As I stated there I more than likely will not get to participate unless the Doc releases me back to the shop.

Like yourself there are quite a few of us Dogs in the Knife Sheath Making group.

So, Anthony do it wherever you feel comfortable. That's what I would do too. The folks on here are family. This is one of two knife related forms I still read everyday. Out of 7 forums I was active with I reduced my interest with them based on the drama factor. KD = 0 on the drama scale! Everyone here is nice, and polite in their communications.

George, I was thinking about doing both. I don't usually make knives one at a time, seems just about as easy to make them in pairs or even fours sometimes. Kind of funny about this forum, you start thinking you "know" everybody, even though you've never even met them in person. I've got an image of all you guys in my mind that might not even be close to the real you. Sorry to hear you're still laid up, I thought you'd finally got past all that a while back. Good luck, maybe you'll be back at it by cooler weather.

f78599f0ab1773a9d0d0b6311a42341e.jpg

The real me, too! My other obsession, armwrestling. I'm the one on the left.

No. I don't dye my hair that way. Ha! I went gray in my 20s. I'm 42 now and in my mind it's still brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This KITH thread has suddenly turned into a meet your maker thread! I'll play too, I guess. Don't think I've ever posted of a pic of myself, so I hate to shatter the image you all have in your mind. :biggrin: I'm not a particularly small feller, about 6'6" and 300 lbs plus or minus. Here's one my wife found of me from about a year ago, I don't get in front of the camera very often.
snow-k.jpg

Back