Liner lock to lock back conversion .

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
This is my BHB-S model,I designd it as a liner lock years ago and it is very popular. I wanted to convert it to a lock back model without changing the handle profile. EASIER SAID THAN DONE! I had to cram a lock bar and integral spring/spacer into the space normally occupied by a blade only.It is linerless although I did make bronze washers for the blade to pivot on and there is no escutcheon to peen the pivot pin into ,the two 1/16" pins in the butt that hold the the spring/spacer in place are that small because I didn't have room for 3/32" pins.
This 14C28N blade is 2 9/16" x .095",the carbon fiber handle is 3 9/16" long,this knife weighs 1.45 oz.
This will be my EDC for at least six months so I can test it thoroughly under real world conditions.
All comments,suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 50
That's a great looking knife, Calvin. The weight and size would make for a perfect EDC. I'm sure that it will catch on with your customers.

Sure is looking good Calvin - I carried lockbacks for many years, then started carrying liner locks. Hard to say which I like best..... Good work.

Ken H>

I appreciate all the nice compliments.
Here's something you other knifemakers will appreciate. I cut the nail nick in after the knife was finished. I left the nail nick off on purpose,thinking the blade would be easy to open without it. I could open the knife but wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be so I made a special tooling plate to hold the opend,finished knife so I could cut the nail nick with a cutoff wheel on my milling machine.

Cutting the nail nick on a finished knife HAD to be done with a grinding wheel? OR - would carbide cut the heat treaded blade?

Ken

Cutting the nail nick on a finished knife HAD to be done with a grinding wheel? OR - would carbide cut the heat treaded blade?

Ken

Yes Ken,carbide would cut it but I did this with a cutoff wheel in my mill,like I cut all my nail nicks. The tricky part was holding the piece to get the job done,that's why I had to build a tooling plate just for this job.

Calvin, Nice knife, nice size, nice one for EDC. Dan

Thanks Dan,
I've been carrying this one everyday since I finished it. It's so light weight but plenty strong and the thin,,flat ground blade is still razor sharp. The Sandvik 14C28N sure holds an edge!
I'llhave it with me at the ICCE show,not for sale but I will take orders.

Looks great Calvin. I bet it is feather light without liners. The carbon fiber handles give it a dressed up look.

Back