sanding in tight corners/curves

nine9jack9

Was wondering what some of you guys do to sand in tight corners and/or curves as in, say, something like a chef's knife or in that tight area just shy of the guard. Is there any faster alternative to hand sanding or an attachment to your grinder. Just wondering what tips you guys might have. As always, thank you for your patience. I have to say my experience with the Knifedogs forum has been positive and you guys have been very accommodating.

I used to use a Dremel with the sanding drums but it leaves something to be desired. I recently purchased an oscillating drum sander and now get much better results. But in some curves the Dremel is the only answer.....

Until recently, I used an assortment of sanding drums on a drill press. Works ok before heat treating, but I hated it on hardened blanks, seemed like the drums wore out way too fast. I always tried to get it as perfect as I could before heat treat, then just hand sanded after. But, I recently built a small wheel attachment for my grinder and all I can say is WOW! You should make a it goal to get/build one someday. I shared my video on here under the WIP forum, it's not that hard to build.

A small wheel attachment is a life saver.

I use a 3/4" and 1" wheel the most.

If you don't have a small wheel, you can run a j-flex belt (slow belt speed) way off the side of your platen so that it will roll and conform to the tight curve you are trying to sand.

I have found a small wheel attachment to be critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 3/4" and 1" wheel the most.
If you don't have a small wheel, you can run a j-flex belt (slow belt speed) way off the side of your platen so that it will roll and conform to the tight curve you are trying to sand.
I have found a small wheel attachment to be critical.

To add to the above, another option is to use a slack belt.....and take a J-flex belt and tear it down to 1/2" wide or less. This video will show you what I'm talking about.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61vbRku5ALI

I use an oscillating spindle sander. But I have the same problem Anthony described; drums just don't last as long as they should. I've tried several brands and haven't found one to last as long as I'd like. Prior to having the spindle sander I had small drums mounted on my drill press. It worked ok, but didn't remove a lot of material.

-Aaron

Small wheel for the grinder is the best option. Before I used that, I often used a wooden dowel rod chucked into a drill or drill press. Put a slot down the middle of the dowel and insert a strip of your favorite sandpaper. It's like a re-usable, variable grit drum sander, available in diameters from 1/4 on up to 1/2 or so. Using wood dowels instead of metal rod gives it just a bit of "give" so that you're less likely to get chatter marks.

As always, you gentlemen have been very helpful. Has anybody here ever used something like a small 1x30 to get into tight spots, any thoughts on this. I use a Coote 2x48 and I think I might have to pick up a small wheel from him.

The problem with a 1x30 is that they run so fast. Fantastic little machines for their usefulness, but control isn't where they shine.

My 1x30 belt slaps around a lot, too. That little spring on the tracking wheel doesn't have enough force to stop the belt from bouncing. Could just be my machine, though.

Can you get a J-weight belt in 1x30? That's important. To do what you need, the belt MUST be able to roll and confirm to the curve you are trying to sand or else the edge of the belt will cut grooves or notches in your work piece.

Ed's video shows this perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A small wheel on the grinder and Norax belts. Norax belts don't leave a splice bump like other belts do.

Small whell attachment is the way to go. I've played with other ideas but that's the best!

small wheel attachment would be the best answer, and I don't even have one! I too use a 1x30 and I've found ways of making it work. I can use a file to shape finger guards and then I found some 400 cheapo sanding drums for dremel on ebay. I chuck them up in the drill press instead of the dremel and (Self-made :) ) it makes them last much longer when them spin at much slower speeds. This allows me to get into tight places to give them a nice finish. It's a little more work, but it's not too bad.

Back