Email list

Justin Presson

Got a question about email list.
Since I'm not really taking orders I thought I would go the route and people can get on a email list and blast out when I have something available.

What do you all do?

Send out email to people on your list first and give them a chance at it before posting on other sites and social media or is it just another way to send out to people who might not frequent sites and forums?

Just looking for advice before I get something going.
Thanks
JP

Last edited:
I do exactly what you described, and wait a few days after sending to my list before posting knives for sale elsewhere. It's pretty uncommon that I have to try to sell anywhere besides my list, which is good and bad I think. Good because hey, sales! But bad because it tends to limit my market exposure to those already interested. I try to mitigate that by posting pictures everywhere, even if the knife has already been sold. Usually a few subscribers bail on every email, but also usually gain more than I lose in general. I use MailChimp to manage my list and emails, which seems to be working pretty well.

I like the email list approach because it takes the pressure off of me to produce, keeps it pretty fair for all involved, and can even help drive demand (the guy who missed a knife by a second or two is more likely to buy another soon than the guy who missed by a day).

Thanks Travis that really helps, I will have to check out mail chimp. I take it there is a link with mail chimp or something if they don't want to receive emails anymore?

There is an unsubscribe option, yes. MailChimp provides a lot of different mail templates, and mine all also contain a link to my website where the knives are posted for sale. First person to click the PayPal button wins! In fairness, my wife (who does web and graphic stuff professionally) manages it all for me. I think I could figure it out, but she's a real pro.

I do a mailing list as well. Mine's not fancy, just a gmail group. I have a "manual unsubscribe" option, in that I end every email with the sentence...
"To purchase a knife or be removed from this list, send me an email and I'll gladly take care of you." Like Travis, I bet 70% of my knives sell to my list before they ever get posted on "the internet."

I just put up an email list on my little website. I'm just getting the site started, but I already have a couple of folks signed up for my email list. Now all I have to do is finish some knives so I can send out an email. I'd be interested in knowing more about what MailChimp is. I always thought it was a dating service for femailChimps :lol:. Seriously though, what is it about?

I use Mail Chimp also, and have for a month or so. I've sent out three emails so far. It works really well, and it's priced right (FREE). I would like to find a way to get more subscribers though. Anyone have suggestions for finding more subscribers?

I just put up an email list on my little website. I'm just getting the site started, but I already have a couple of folks signed up for my email list. Now all I have to do is finish some knives so I can send out an email. I'd be interested in knowing more about what MailChimp is. I always thought it was a dating service for femailChimps :lol:. Seriously though, what is it about?

Brandant, Mail Chimp is an email subscriber system. If you go to my website, you will see areas where you can sign up for my newsletter. Mail Chimp provides those links, and it keeps track of all your subscribers. I don't need to do anything. Mail Chimp also has several different email templates that you can use. You can add photos, text, links and other stuff.

It's really easy to set-up and it's free for smaller businesses. I think if you get over 5000 subscribers they start to charge you, or if you want special features. The program also tells you how many of your subscribers opened your email, and how many clicked a link in the email. It's a pretty neat service.

Back