History Channel....Forged in Fire

Last night's show was the best one yet. I was pulling for Dave, I like t hat he pulled off the Hamon with no clay. That Pete guy did turn out one nice sword.
Overall the show keeps getting better.
I liked that they got to use a known steel and they told the viewers what it was.

I like the show myself. I think the contestants are all good knife makers put in a situation that is very very tough. These are all successful accomplished knife makers working in an environment I know I would almost certainly fail at.

It's not for knife makers, it is a for profit business entertainment show and that is a much broader audience than just knife makers.
It's not a show about knife making, it's a show about making weapons. I'd rather not see knives portrayed as slashing and hacking blue ink bleeding mannequins but I understand why it is that way. I appreciate the judges treating every knife maker and the craft with respect and dignity. Most competition shows try to belittle and humiliate the participants for ratings.

I think the show is getting a little better. If you guys miss one go to egflix.
Dave had some serious facial contortion exercises going on when that chopping test happen.You guys were great. looking forward to the next one.

Peter Martin is on next Monday night..along with JD Smith and a couple others....

Im an exteme newbie :) And I really enjoy the show... but I have a pretty fair knack for "suspension of disbelief" ... or in this case, just accepting it for what it is. Personally my fave episode is the Viking axe one (note, I dont know ANY of the participants, but I am well aware they are ALL FAR more talented than I ever will be). That said, it was really cool to see the guy with the $50 shop beat the guy with the $50k shop. It really shows its about the maker, not the tools (although I will admit his axe was a lot more "rustic")

Overall I agree that it will create some unrealistic expectations in buysers, but honestly, when someone calls you who has NEVER owned a custom knife before, arent they always surprised at the price and/or the time to produce?

Another aspect of the show I like is when someone does get sent home, they are ALWAYS gracious, the final winner is always gracious, even the guy that loses at the end is gracious. It really portrays knife makers in a really positive light (and matches ALL my experiences to date). Watch a couple of episodes of Chopped (the cooking version of this show) and see how the winners vs losers are portrayed. Obviously not all of them, but you almost never see a cocky knife maker. Even guys that REALLY deserve to be cocky just arent. Ive had a TON of setbacks in my journey (im currently about a year behind where I wanted to be when I started), but its the air of total generosity of spirit that I see on this, and other, forums and videos that keeps me plugging away.

Thanks to Jaw Jacker's link, I finally watched the show! Well, just the first episode, and I loved it. Some of you had worried that the show would give customers the wrong impression, but I think just opposite. I think it shows that even with 6 hours to forge and handle their blades how difficult it was for them. Its obvious, even to non-makers, how the time constraints stressed the guys and its obvious how it affected the quality of their work. Even with a 5 day time at their own shop, it was difficult, so I think it shows just how hard it is, great show.

I have to agree with Ed and the others. I watched it and kept thinking "forge a damascus billet and then into a useable knife in that amount of time!?!?? I do agree that the show would be better if it showcased a single maker or even a couple of makers but gave more attention to what it actually takes to make a quality blade. I am disappointed in the show. I was looking forward to it.

So far the one guy I liked best was the one who used a satellite dish as a forge in his back yard. That was great. What I don't like is the "kill" tests. Makes it seem like the only reason to have a blade is to use it to slice up someone's rubber chest to watch blue blood come out.

I have mentioned on several of the forums my objections to the Kill emphasis all through this series. Our knives can do much more than Kill. This does a great job of tearing down the admirable work of Knife Rights. Knives can kill but that should not be the prime emphasis.

Peter, I really liked your rapier. I think you did a great job! That expert may just need to work out a little bit more so he can swing steel a little easier. I figured with those thrusts you had the money in the bag. I'm sure it was a pretty cool experiance though.

Last nights show with stabbing the car doors was weak. Some of these tests are total bs. I think these guys would do a better job testing the blades.

p185365_b_v7_aq.jpg

Last edited:
Peter, I really liked your rapier. I think you did a great job! That expert may just need to work out a little bit more so he can swing steel a little easier. I figured with those thrusts you had the money in the bag. I'm sure it was a pretty cool experiance though.

Thank you, doing the show was hoot and a half. The bottom line for this TV series is to expand the number viewers into an otherwise unknown area of craftsmanship/artists and the pieces they create. The number of folks watching is increasing by leaps and bounds every week, and if the numbers holdout, there will be a season 2. The more exposure, the better! I am ultra pleased that I did the show and really hope this becomes the next best thing on television. Everybody has an opinion about something with this series, but its got a lot going for it without sexual content, profanity, violence, and human degradation which is all too common in today's TV programs.
OK, I'll get off my soap box now...........Thanks again, and keep watching.

Peter

Peter, I thought both the blade and Rapier you made were outstanding.
Sorry you didn't take first but you made an excellent showing.
t

The work that is put into these blades to be made or broke by a feller swingin straight on to a free hangin side of ribs is a bit silly. The swing is on the horizontal plane and each blade hit a rib bone at different points to stop progression. I am sorry I did not get to see the rapier segment, (the breakroom tv had it on, Ihad to go to work)

Peter you did a good job, I liked both knives you made on the show.
I have said it before but the show is pretty good. We all know its not perfect but what is.
My 3 year old boy watched it with me the other night and had his toy hammer out beating things. He also said cool they are making knives like you dad.
One of the guys I work with has got into it and so has his 2 boys. They actually wanted to make a knife so him and his boys have been working one.
I do not have a problem at all with them calling the knives weapons, most of the ones they are making on the show are!....not like they are making chefs knives they are swords for crying out loud.
I hope it gets another season, heck if I had the forging skills I would apply for the show. Its a once in a lifetime experience!
I don't know why people are so torn with this show, its TV entertainment.
Any way.... that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I'm enjoying the Forged in Fire series quite a bit. Does anyone know if ALL the episodes for this season have been recorded at this point? "IF" so I expect they are doing some editing each week for I see the recent episodes are better than the first couple.

Any idea how many episodes there are planned for this season?

Thanks for any info,

Ken H>

Back