Desert Ironwood Hunter

Justin Presson

I just finished this one up yesterday. I think it is probably one of the best knives if not the best knife I have made to date. This is the first time I have made this design I drew it up a few months ago. I'm very pleased with it, it feels great in the hand. First time I have done a swedge and first time using ironwood too.
This was a tough grind for me but for my first go at it and free hand I was pleased with the results, but dang it was nerve racking!!

.138 AEB-L stainless steel
Desert Ironwood Handle
Carbon fiber pins and lanyard tube
Cork Belt finish on the bevels
Overall length is 8 1/4"
Cutting edge is 3 3/8"

All comments welcomed

Thanks for looking
Justin

Last edited:
As I said on your IG. You better get used to making these, I think they'll be a big hit. Very well done Justin.

Don

Now that is certainly one to be proud of, Justin. I love the design, materials, and your execution. A truly fantastic knife. You may now move to the head of the class.

That is an awesome knife. I really like the subtle thumb ramp with the swedge. Looks great!

-Aaron

Justin, you just keep stepping it up! I like it all, grinds, wood, pins, design. Do you like the AEBL? I'm thinking bout trying it now that my 14c28n supply has dried up.

Thank you all, Mark I really like the carbon pins with this wood too it dosnt distract from it and flows well.
Anthony, so far I like it this is only the 3rd knife I have made from it so I don't have any real world experience with it yet but it grinds nice and finishes well and it sharpens up really nice. I'm starting to gravitate towards stainless more because people don't like to have to oil and deal with rust on a knife.
Dan and Cabinetmaker thank you for the comments!

Super nice. How difficult was the swedge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was my first swedge and it was not terrible but there was a pretty high pucker factor...lol I'm really not sure what the best way is I just treated it like I was cutting in the main bevel made marks on the spine and on the flats and tried to keep it straight. I did the swedge first before the main bevels. It's not perfect but I was pleased.

I got to deliver this knife on Saturday at our 15 year class reunion. His wife contacted me months ago about making one for my friend Michael. During dinner he was asking me how the knifemaking was going and talked knives for awhile, the hole time I'm trying to play dumb about his. So after dinner we are out in the parking lot and by that time a small group was wanting to see some knives I had made and I pull this one out and hand it to Michaels wife and said "Erin gets to see this one first since it's now hers" and she proceeded to hand it over to her husband Michael and said happy father's day and he was totally suprised! It was pretty awesome.

As I said on your IG. You better get used to making these, I think they'll be a big hit. Very well done Justin.

Don

Don was right. I'll start the "waiting in line" for this one in the next batch. Please let me know how to do that - don't think I ever formed a straight line before.

Back