Are friction folders sellers or novelties?

Self Made Knives

Hoping a bunch of you guys fresh from Blade Show have a feel for the market. Are friction folders good sellers? I was thinking about make a couple, but I'm afraid the average Joe is going to turn his nose up them. A lot of people have never even seen one. I myself have never owned one, but always thought they were kind of cool.

And, while we're on the subject of what's selling well, what trends did you see at Blade? What were people actually purchasing and carrying out the door?

Well I'm no expert at any of this but I have made one friction folder and carried it for a month or so. I showed several people and got alot of "that's cool how does it lock?" Couple guys said "I couldn't have one of those I would cut my finger off, let me know when you make a locking blade". I used it but found the tang to poke me but did find it fit nicely in that little weird pocket on the right side of your jeans. I should have put a pocket clip on it. For my personal taste I probably would not buy one, I just prefer a frame lock. I don't think I will make another or if I do I will put a bottle opener on the tang to add a little something more to draw to people...people love bottle openers even though most now days are twist off. Just my 2 cents.

Ive made 3 friction folders. 2 were gifts. The third was sold. As soon as people saw what I had made, ive been inundated with people wanting me to make them one. Honestly, in my opinion, these aren't knives for the average crowd. F. folders are more of a work of art in my eyes, and people who like the look of them, will want them. But on top of having a different look, mine are shave sharp. I dig em.

Ive made 3 friction folders. 2 were gifts. The third was sold. As soon as people saw what I had made, ive been inundated with people wanting me to make them one. Honestly, in my opinion, these aren't knives for the average crowd. F. folders are more of a work of art in my eyes, and people who like the look of them, will want them. But on top of having a different look, mine are shave sharp. I dig em.
ff4e42d9e33f798db34a331d1ab195d9.jpg
716201d099bdf51e95c78bfa4be00693.jpg

The green was my favorite. It was a gift for my dad.

I was going to make one just for me, but I was thinking about making another at the same time to sell. I made a liner lock a while back, but it came out a little on the large side for carrying in your pocket. It also doesn't have a pocket clip, which I've became sort of addicted to in the past few years. I've got a little sleeker, smaller friction folder drawn out, and it will have a clip. Maybe I should just make one and see what kind of interest it draws.

I think friction folders make great neck knives, but I realize most people aren't into the neck hung sheath idea.

I've worn pocket clips for years, but it's a love hate thing. I'm forever scratching the car and stuff when I forget about the pocket clip being exposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think friction folders make great neck knives, but I realize most people aren't into the neck hung sheath idea.

I've worn pocket clips for years, but it's a love hate thing. I'm forever scratching the car and stuff when I forget about the pocket clip being exposed.

John,
Did you ever think about replacing the existing clip with one that would be a LOT less rougher on the automobiles?
Like say with, Carbon Fiber? I have seen a few made with Kydex but I don't think I would trust ANY of MY knives to it, although
they did seem to be pretty tough, with plenty of spring to them, neither of those 2 options would leave a scratch! Just an idea,
and some of the CF out these days is looking pretty sweet! With different patterns and added copper, for Lightening Strike, My Fav,
from a distance, I've yet to brave working with CF, it can be a PITA! Just get one of those ittsy bitsy little tiny strands of carbon in
your finger, then I think it would be a PITF. Just some thoughts that came to mind when you mentioned a problem I've had in the past.
Forgetting that piece of stainless is sticking out of your pocket, right until you hear that sickening squeak! I used to be real good about,
because I once wore those Wrangler 13mwz, if you don't know what they are, just think of the Cowboy pants. Those were sewn together
and reinforced with RIVETS! Metal rivets! They kinda look like copper but I don't think it is, not with as many trucks as I've left my mark on!
The pockets were reinforced right about the same place the pocket clip comes out, but it seemed to always happen at least once a week end,
Sadly, it was usually MY TRUCK! Give it a shot, you might like it and I'm pretty sure Tracy carries them.
Hope this helps, Rex

Rex, I never even thought of a CF clip. Now I feel like a dingbat.

What I REALLY need to do is learn how to make folders so I can stop carrying a Kershaw around. I forgot where I read it, or who said it, but it's hard to make the case that somebody ought to buy your handmade knife when you as the maker carry a Walmart knife.

Oh and I don't drive nice cars. My wife does. (How does that work again?) I get to fix it. And it's usually about the time I'm leaning over a fender that I hear that all too familiar sound.

In places like Great Britain, where locking folders are not lawful to carry, I suspect they sell very well. In my limited experience, those with a more primitive old-time look, natural materials, and carbon or damascus steel, sell very well to the right crowd... but will have the average tactical knife junkie's wondering what's wrong with you....

Rex, I never even thought of a CF clip. Now I feel like a dingbat.

What I REALLY need to do is learn how to make folders so I can stop carrying a Kershaw around. I forgot where I read it, or who said it, but it's hard to make the case that somebody ought to buy your handmade knife when you as the maker carry a Walmart knife.

That is a good point. I need to get my framelock done! My edc is a kershaw cryo.

Friction folders are what they are ....unpractical, eventually dangerous for the unexperienced user and with the spike standing out behind often unwieldy, and there are some angles You cant cut with it.
ok, maybe they outperform a flint stone wedge in cutting chores but if we look from a serious side they are only art objects.
I made one several years ago and it was fun, but after I finished it I carried the knife for a day or two and then loosing interest in this kind of knives....too unpractical and laborious...question is if they sell good....no they dont at least not in Germany or another European country.....and I never!! met a person who carried and used one......
but like I said can be art.....sometimes.

Last edited:
Jeremiah, I suspect you're thoughts are very similar to what most customers would think about them too. I'm going to make one with a pocket clip for myself and see how it goes over. It's one of those things I've been curious about and need to try it. I cut the blade, spacer, and clip out of some Alabama Damascus yesterday, so we'll see.

Anthony, with a pocket clip Your upcoming friction folder may sneak its way into Your pocket more often, adding a clip is a very useful detail.
Good luck and have fun.

Jeremiah

my friction folder is my best selling model, mostly in europe but also here in israel and in the US, though alot of of the people that buy them would like it to have a lock most of them need it as a legal EDC, i think that it won't sell well if it's trys to be a "tactical" folder but if it's more of a gentlemens knife and has a good design then it should sell well, small blade, no more then you need for most urban daily cutting tesks, all that said, flippers are what people want nowadays.

my friction folder is my best selling model, mostly in europe but also here in israel and in the US, though alot of of the people that buy them would like it to have a lock most of them need it as a legal EDC, i think that it won't sell well if it's trys to be a "tactical" folder but if it's more of a gentlemens knife and has a good design then it should sell well, small blade, no more then you need for most urban daily cutting tesks, all that said, flippers are what people want nowadays.

....then maybe You triggered something, .....:1: Good!

Back