Small kitchen knife templates

A-V

Hello,

I have a bunch of 1-1/2" AEB-L that I would like to use to make small kitchen knives with, the thing is I'm lacking inspiration.

Fillet knife, paring, mid-size utility... If you could please share any templates you have for small kitchen knives I'd be really grateful!

Thanks !

If you like the Japanese style of culinary knives, Murray Carter's book "101 Knife Designs" is a great resource. The back of the book has pages and pages of templates. (Not just culinary knives)

I based this knife on his template for a yanagiba. However, I changed the handle and I made it a double bevel. I wanted a long Petty/Utility because my 4in is too short for melons or proteins, and I sometimes want something more nimble than an 8" chef.

21e43573ef5a2a342ac89ddcd62362d8.jpg

b6ef283051999d7690a6e7a8d069b75b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great read, I'll probably get it thanks for the advice.
By the way nice looking knife, love the liners I should really try doing some!

Thank you very much.

I really can't recommend that book enough.

As far as templates, when it comes to culinary knives I like to take knives I own and trace them out. Then I change the parts of them I don't particularly care for performance-wise.

I'm a very basic guy. It's all about function to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me the 150mm Petty knife fits that bill quite nicely.

I agree with Stuart, The 150mm Petty design is a great knife pattern for the kitchen and you will learn a lot making one without having to grind a lot of steel. I find that 3/32" or 0.070 in thickness works great. You want to stay under 1/8" in thickness.

Being quite a neophyte at all the Japanese names, could any of you please explain to me any further what petty knives are ?

Is petty a blade shape or the octagonal handle?

Is there a japanese/english lexicon of the knife talk ?

The are like a wedge or door stop. If you take John's nice slicer type knife and make it shorter and pointer so the handle is raised a bit more. At 5" you have what the Japanese refer to as a Petty.

Here is one from a company that I've sold called Tahamagane. 120mm/5" Petty. The Japanese traditionally don't have paring knives. They call them petty's and are the smallest knife you will see in their traditional line up.

ultimatechefstore_2268_4829145.gif

Back