BladeBond Data for Ed & others...

aldear

As promised I have some updated info. for the folk(s) who had some questions about my resins. Here is some some BladeBond data for your review:

Regarding long term retention of physical and chemical characteristics of the cured product, once Bladebond is cured it becomes (like all epoxies) chemically inactive. When the subject of a 50 year time frame was proposed to the formulator regarding retention of properties under ALL optimal conditions, the reply was “50 years….absolutely no problem”

Additionally the parent formula that BladeBond is derived from is Mil-Spec, and certified MMM-A-134, FEDERAL SPECIFICATION: ADHESIVE, EPOXY RESIN, METAL TO METAL STRUCTURAL BONDING. This specification covers epoxy resin adhesives for structural bondings such as the fabrication and repair of airframe parts, components, and other applications requiring bonding of a similar quality.

Hope that clears up any questions or concerns any of you may have. If you need anything else, please feel free to email me anytime at andy@bladebond.com.

Best Regards,
Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Since the epoxy bond (for all "real" epoxies) is "chemically inert", I'll bet the real answer isn't "50 yrs", but 100+ yrs, as something that can be passed down to son, then to grandson. Should be good for a real family heirloom. Andy, would you say that's the case?

Thanks for checking on this "bond life" issue for us.

Ken H>

I hesitate to say "yes", because I'm a big believer that a lot of people fall prey to the fallacy of extremes, myself included. But suffice it to say whether your using G Flex, BladeBond or Acraglas or any other quality resin, if you prep the surfaces correctly, mix and measure appropriately, you'll have a knife that will last a very VERY long time...LOL

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Last edited:
Andy, how would you rate your BladeBond for metal-to-metal contact? My understanding is that for all its faults, this is where JB Weld does excel, and the purpose for which it is made.

Also, if BladeBond were used, say under a bolster or guard- as a water seal / void filler, what color line would be visible between the two layers of metal at the edge?

Can any epoxy tint be used with BladeBond with no detrimental effects to the bond?

sorry for the scatterbrained questions. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Metal to metal contact is very good with lap shear numbers in the 2600 psi range for Ultra and 2800 psi range for Edge 15.....G-Flex lap shear on steel is 2480 psi....not a monumental difference but it is there. Edge is virtually completely clear when cured and Ultra is ever so slightly opaque, but in a thin bond line its virtually invisible. We are going to provide tints dispersed in epoxy resin for this product, which should be compatible with G Flex, Devcon, Loctite etc.. and others as well (since its dispersed in 100% epoxy resin). As for the other tints, I have not tested them, so I would be out of line if I made any claims here. I do know they are compatible with universal paint tints, but you can only use about 2% tint per mix without weakening the cure. With the epoxy resin tints, you can use about 8-10% with no ill effects.Let me know if that helps!Andy DearAxis Outdoor Productswww.bladebond.com

Great info.

I use a tiny dab of System Three epoxy paste pigment per 8ml (4ml epoxy + 4ml hardener). Just enough to get opaque color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy I have been reading your post and all the questions you have been answering and I thinking you are doing a good job. I'm a pretty new maker but from what I can tell this is not an easy sell to knifemakers there is alot riding on the epoxy in and the makers reputation. I just wanted to say good job and I appreciate all the time your spending and the knowledge. I'm going to order some when I buy some more stuff from usaknifemakers.com and try it out.

Thanks for the kind words Justin......trying hard to do my part to give back.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you need anything!

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Axis Outdoor Products
www.bladebond.com

Back