Snakeskin handle challenge .... CRUSHED!

LobosStyle Blades

So about a year ago I was asked if I could make a knife with a snake skin handle. Being a new maker I had NO CLUE what I was getting into. I said, "I've never done one before but I can sure try." Today I finally handed it off to the customer in which his first comment was "Wow! It's so nice I'm afraid to use it. I might have to put it up for display." This hit home for me because my entire goal in making knives is to make something someone will be "Proud to Carry".

This piece took over a year to accomplish with months on months of trial and error..... oh SOOOOO MANY failed attempts to get it right. The hardest part was getting the protective coating that wouldn't separate from the skin causing a fogged/frosted look but also I could work and polish and be durable for actual use.

In addition, I've never made a sheath with an inlay window let alone have that inlay be snakeskin.

I hope you all enjoy and please feel free to make comments and suggestions.

Blade: 6inches - 3/16" thick 440c stainless 58-59hrc
Guard/Pommel: Brass with black spacers
Handle: Rattlesnake skin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

20150524_130828.jpg20150524_142609.jpg20150524_130855.jpg20150524_140909.jpg20150524_141221.jpg20150524_141231.jpgROXDCB0.jpg

Last edited:
That is a first for me to see, a snale skin handle. Wow is crazy and cool an very different.
Is very impressive you got the skin to look as if the handle is truly seamless.
How did you manage to find a solid block of snake skin that sands out and looks like that when finished. Lol had to make the joke. Is a beauty of a blade.

There's a local maker around me that makes a combo like that too and I've wondered how its done as well. They both look awesome, good job all the way!

Me neither. A first.
I like it and can appreciate the time that took to get "right"
I could see a really cool sword cane next or at least a rattler covered walking stick.

Steve, it is truly a beautiful knife. You sounded upset that the customer said that it looked too good and that he wanted to keep it as a display knife. I wouldn't be disappointed, to me that would be a high compliment. He admired your work so much that he wanted to preserve its beauty for ever.

God Bless,

Grizzly Bear

I hope you be posting a few words on how you were able to do this lovely piece of work. Thanks
Frank

Thanks for the compliment on my work. I've had a few people requesting my process and a DIY. At this time I'm going to maintain the process as a trade secret in hopes of maintaining a few additional customers for similar pieces.

The process was one that took months on months of trial and error in both process and materials. Quite a few people told me that it wasn't worth the headache and not to bother. A large part of my posting these photos was to show other makers that with some ingenuity and determination, anything is possible.

Back