Matching angles bolster and odd shaped scales

Self Made Knives

Might be more of a tip than a wip. Today I found myself scratching my head on how to make the miter joint between scales and bolsters match. Not a problem if you're using store bought scales that are perfectly flat and parallel. I'm using cow bone, found in a pasture and cut into scales. I had to flatten the inner side first so the bevel is referenced correctly. But, after setting my tool rest to the angle I wanted and putting the bevels on the bolsters, it hit me. For the scales, that angle is backwards!

After thinking about various ways to get my scales a uniform thickness so I could grind them upside down, the light bulb went off. Grind them upside down! Actually, I ground them on the bottom of my toolrest, without changing my angle. Worked like a charm and simple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 80
That's one way to skin a cat! You could also use your disc sander. Instead of tilting your table down to 30 degrees, tilt it up 30 degrees. Not sure if everyone's will, but mine does.

Anthony, I just might have to try that. I did try angling my tool rest up, but that puts the belt trying to pull scale down into the belt. The tool rest has to be almost zero clearance for that to work. Trying to grind those angles from top side of scales can be a pain. Using the bottom would be MUCH better.

Ken H>

Back