WannaBe Knife Maker!

Iggy

Hello everyone! I LOVE Knives, I think they are sexy as hell! So now that you know that there is something definitely wrong with me, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Iggy, I have been playing with knives since I was a kid, I'm 50 y/o now, bored, and was thinking about knife making as a hobby, I would love to learn to forge my own one day, although that is probably far off, its just what I was thinking. I have no idea how or where to start! So I started by using Google and stumbled across Knife Dogs, Site seems to be packed with knowledgeable people and packed with info! If anyone can chime in with any ideas on the best way to start this endeavor and get me going in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Iggy

Hey Iggy, welcome.

There are so many helpful people here and plenty of professional makers, all willing to help.

Youtube is a fantastic resource. Sometimes it helps to watch a bunch of videos and read everything you can. The forums are a great place to ask specific questions once you have specific questions to ask.

Check the Knifemakers Area, and especially the New To Knifemaking sub forum. There are some great stickies to read that will get you on the right track.

On youtube, Walter Sorrells has a fantastic series of videos for the beginning knife maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy,
First, let me welcome you to KD's.

Second I hear your enthusiasm, but please keep in mind that we are a family friendly site and want people to be able to have their knife pups on their laps while they view this site.

Third,
I made my first couple of knives using hand files and sand paper. Start with a small knife. You would be amazed how quickly you can file the bevels on say, a 3" x 1 x 1/8" thick and a 5" handle. Read all of the sticks you can. And ask questions. We will get you going!:happy:

Hey Iggy, I'm a new maker as well and have only been dabbling in the industry for about 3 years now with going more in depth in the last year. I can reiterate what John Wilson said, but his there is no need really, it's spot on. Do your research and find that passion in it.

When you finally take that step to making one, know you just might find yourself stuck with a hobby that becomes more than that.

Welcome Iggy. A fellow newbie here, I can offer one bit of advice to you DO NOT USE OLD PLANER BLADES unless you want hours of annoyance hedache an frustration. Lol (I learned the hard way) There are many newbs,beginners,novice,experienced and, pro makers on here and we all have opines and views all aimed to help. I first made my knives with a harbor freight belt/disk sander, angle grinder and, a sawzall. It is a hobby that your budget and space that dictates your tools. The advice I got last year when I started is to not sell blades till about the 30th or so blade. I now understand why, my attention to all the small flaws in my finish of the handle and spacers has improved by leaps and bounds.
Starting with a small blade will make it easier to make progress.

Welcome to KnifeDogs...
There are about a thousand ways to get started knife making.
Post questions when they come up and we'll try and give you a hand.
t

Back