English Trade Knife

Freeman Longhunter

This one was forged from a Bellota rasp. The rasp was tested prior to annealing to ensure that it was worth my time. Made that mistake before!! Heated to non magnetic and quenched in preheated olive oil. Temper was two hours at 375F.

The scales came from an old walnut tree. They were 12X1 planks that were recovered from a deconstruction project. $2 per plank @ 6X12X1. STEAL!!

I used 1/8 brass pins, and scored the scales a bit to give that 18th century longhunter character.

The sheath was hand stitched using saddlery left overs. With steel tacks. The adornments are wood beads with California gray squirrel tuft.

It ain't much compared to some of the skill I have seen! (You guys are true craftsman). Thanks all for the warm welcome and help in the other topics. Much appreciated!uploadfromtaptalk1431196772563.jpg

you are so right squirrel is so darn tasty.
They sure are! People don't know what there missing.....and I am lucky enough to have a bride that will cook them for me. (I said cook. She sure won't clean 'em)

Do them slow crocked like beef bourbuignon....except squirrel instead of beef. It won't do you wrong, I swear by it!.....but this is a knife forum, not a hillbilly cookin' forum.

Here, here! But we all do need to eat, even if we are knife makers. I lov'em in the crock pot with veggies, kind of like stew! Eat on my friend.

Wayne

Back