copper question.

slatroni

I am working on a copper guard and hilt. Copper being so soft, is there a way I can harden it? Here is a pic of what I am working on. Thanks in advance for any help!
NCM_0189-2.jpg

Not sure, but I think copper works like brass. Not how much harder it will be, but you can heat the copper til it's glowing red, then cool very slowly. To anneal brass (and I think copper), heat red hot, then dunk in water.

Ken H>

Thanks Ken. I run copper tubing now and then at work. I always clamp one end in my vise and the other end in a vise grip. Then beat the vise grip with a hammer to stretch the tubing to harden it. But, cant do that here...... Thanks again! Steve

Yep, stretching copper tubing does tend to work harden. I'm looking forward to your finished product - I've always liked copper.

Ken H>

I think it may have something to do with the type of copper,I get mine from online metals and it's extremely hard stuff.I use 110 HO4 and it's not soft at all.

Heating and quenching will make the copper softer. Work hardening by cold forging is how I harden copper for fittings.

Thanks wdtorque, I was thinking about penning the guard and hilt just a bit. The knife is on stand-by till it comes to me.

Back