New Thread - Dumb Things I Have Done In My Shop

wmhammond

Last night I finished prepping a set of really nice Stabilized Spalted Maple scales. Went the last mile to get the fit perfect so I wouldn't have to do too much sanding after glue up because the knife is a little Alabama Damascus Filet knife that I really like. Anyway, got 'em just right and then just like the creature of habit that I am I just glued 'em up and left it to sit overnight. Woke up at 3 AM and realized I hadn't etched the blade before I glued it up.

Guess I need some help - anybody willing to admit they might have done this before also and can tell me the best way to etch this knife now without ruining the wood handles? I'm sorta clueless at the moment ("at the moment", I'm clueless all the time). Thanks,

Wallace

Well, I have finished the handle with tru-oil and then etched the blade with a paint brush..... it worked.

I don't put my regular logo on my Damascus knives. It never looks perfect so I just type out Rhinoknives.com on stencil paper and etch it on the spine in the handle area.

I have put on handle scales and forgot to drill the guide holes on the first side, we learn from the mistakes.

Back